Sightron vs Nikon vs Leupold?

estone

I am looking at four different 3x9 scopes for a Tikka T3 hunter in .308. By budget is $225 or less.
I have four that I've narrowed it down to:

Sightron SII (new) - $205 shipped
Nikon Monarch (used, I believe it is a couple of years old) - $200
Leupold Vari-X II (older model, used) - $175-200 shipped
Leupold VX-I (new) - $200

They all have similar warranties and have heard very good things about all of them. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
progress.gif

Last edited:
1. I have read alot of conflicting reports. Some say the Nikon Monarch 3x9 has better glass. Some say the Sightron II 3x9 has better glass. Which is it?
2. Some say the mechanicals on the Nikon are inferior?
So what is the truth? There's got to be one with better glass and one with better mechanicals, which is it?

3. A New 3x9 Nikon Monarch is $300+
A new 3x9 Sightron II is $200. Should I be fooled by the lower price on the Sightron?

4. It seems you are paying for a Leupold in their warranty, but not really getting a better scope when looking at similar priced scopes from Nikon or Sightron? ie. Sightron II vs Nikon Monarch vs Leupold Vari-X II vs VX-I.

Any opinions would be great. :)

The Nikon would be my first choice. The Monarchs have better glass than the standard Sightron SIIs, never compared the Big Sky models. You can still find the "Team Primos" Nikons(UCC Monarchs) for ~$200 new if you don't mind the BDC reticle.

I think I would trade a weak argument in glass for a great reputation in repeatable adjustments?
Big sky it is!
Cdog.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.