Sightron vs Weaver vs Leupold: Help!

This model has an even better reticle design - in my opinion - and comes in the moa/moa format. The reticle hash marks are moa, and the turret adjustments are in moa. 1/4 moa per click. A very nice reticle design also, similar to my 6-24x50mm SIII LRMOA 2-MOA model.
Sightron Riflescopes / Binoculars / Sighting Scopes product pages. SIII Series - SIIISS 3.5-10x44 LRIRMOA

I agree that the hash style reticles are nicer than the standard mildot. This would be about the perfect setup for me if it was offered in FFP!

Sightron is great, but they skip over the very useful 4-16, 3-15, etc, power ranges (and they don't yet offer FFP which I greatly prefer). I like more than 10X for hunting and long range plinking but for me 6-24's are a bit much for hunting as I do some up close work as well—and it sounds like you don't want quite that much scope either.

Of those you list, the Weaver would be my choice far and away—but I'd get this one Tactical Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 3-15x 50mm 1/10 Mil Adjustments Side Focus First Focal Illuminated Enhanced Mil-Dot Reticle Matte which has matching knobs, better reticle, illumination and increased travel (basically all the things I didn't like about the Weaver Tactical I had have been fixed on this scope). It has the most useful magnification range and the best glass I've seen from any scope under $1500.

Maybe this would be a great time for someone to educate me on the benfits of FFP. Also, compared to what? Paralax? I'm new at this. Any help would be great. Thanks guys!

-Mega

Jon A said, Sightron is great, but they skip over the very useful 4-16, 3-15, etc, power ranges

i can tell you what Allan at Sightron told me not very long ago. they will be offering a 2.5-17.5 S111, with a release date possibly this spring. no, i don't know any specs, it is still in the prototype stage

Last edited:
Jon A said, Sightron is great, but they skip over the very useful 4-16, 3-15, etc, power ranges

i can tell you what Allan at Sightron told me not very long ago. they will be offering a 2.5-17.5 S111, with a release date possibly this spring. no, i don't know any specs, it is still in the prototype stage

I've never seen a Sightron I was interested in, but a 2.5-17.5x50 would make me look very closely!

It has the most useful magnification range and the best glass I've seen from any scope under $1500.

Jon,
I'm wondering if your statement includes the Sightron SIIIs in the under $1500 scopes. Have you put the Sightron SIIIs alongside the Weaver 3-15 Tactical in the field? Completed that kind of side by side comparison? I'm not challenging your statement at all. I've never even looked through one of the Weaver Tacticals, let alone completed a good field comparison.

If you tell me the Weaver tactical outclasses the glass in the Sightron SIIIs, then I'll be looking into the Weaver Tactical - very seriously.

I compared my first 6-24x50mm SIII to my IOR 3-18x42mm for about one hour one evening. The comparison started with good light and continued into fading light on targets at the 300 yard range. The resolution of the bullet holes was virtually identical with both scopes set on 18 power. But the light transmission was much better in the SIII. I now own and use three of the Sightron SIIIs. But I'm not partial to any make or model of scope, should I find a better value.

Sightron is great, but they skip over the very useful 4-16, 3-15, etc, power ranges (and they don't yet offer FFP which I greatly prefer). I like more than 10X for hunting and long range plinking but for me 6-24's are a bit much for hunting as I do some up close work as well—and it sounds like you don't want quite that much scope either.

I agree. I have been desirous of a 4-16x SIII since purchasing my first 6-24 SIII. I talked to Alan Orr (Sightron) at Shot Show once about this. And I called to ask him about this one other time. Didn't seem like it was in the cards.

But now Dave Wilson has me looking forward to a 2.5-17 range SIII. I was about to spring for another 6-24. I will hold off now. Long enough to see if Sightron's development of a 2.5-17 continues to completion. I can wait until next summer.

Last edited:
I have that Weaver 3-15 tactical with illuminated reticle. Its mill reticle is better then the lower priced Weaver tactical. I also have a Sightron S3 8x32x56mm . I've looked throught them both and I think the glass on the weaver is is a step above. Its a first class scope.

Jon,
I'm wondering if your statement includes the Sightron SIIIs in the under $1500 scopes.
I shouldn't have made it sound like I felt the Weaver was the best exclusively as I feel the SIII 6-24's I've tested are very similar as far as resolution, etc, but as mentioned they don't offer similar magnification ranges to compare. I haven't done that side by side with one set on 20X or 15X and compared with a Weaver but it would be interesting. My impressions from how they compared with other scopes at the time makes me guess it would be a toss-up or very close in a pure resolution test.

In short, I do consider them as sort of in the same class when it comes to overall glass quality. That does come as a surprise to many as few have experience with the new FFP Weaver Tacticals but that may be changing now since they offer matching knobs, etc, and it seems the "secret is out." I really feel they're about as high a quality scope as is available in that price range. Yes, there are scopes out there that will beat them but you need to spend nearly twice the money.

Thanks Jon,
Your input is exactly what I was seeking. Saves me from having to purchase a Weaver, or otherwise arrange to compare the Weaver Tactical to the Sightron SIII, myself.

Iron Worker, thanks for your Post also. I've seen one or two other Posts where you've shared your personal 1st hand opinion that the glass in your Weaver Tactical was better - to your eyes - than the glass in your SIII. Very valuable to hear from someone that owns and uses both scopes.

I have had 2 sightron SIII 6-24x50 LRMD scopes for a couple years.They are fantastic scopes,great glass,excellent tracking,always hold zero.

Recently I purchased a Weaver Super Slam 3-15x50 scope,and it also has great glass,and excellent tracking.I'll just have to see if it'll hold zero,it's mounted on my 458 SOCOM so if it can hold up to the beating of that rifle,it's a good scope.

The Weaver is a good scope,but I still like the Sightron SIII scope better.
I will say,I really like the turret design on the Weaver,it's nice to be able to lock them in place and not worry about them moving when bumped.

I have a Sightron SIII 6-24 with the MOA reticle and turrets on a Sendaro 300 win mag with Brux barrel. The gun will consistently shoot 1/2 MOA to 1K with the 208 A Max which I used to take a mule deer at 705 yds, and a spike elk at 537. The scope has been great, from tracking to retical I love it. IMHO the 6-24 is a high magnification for hunting, I went with this scope because I want to try my hand at the 1 mile mark and wanted the high end for that. I use a 3.5-15 Nighforce at work and love it, I think it has better glass than the Sightron, but only a little and it really only matters on those 100 degree plus days when on the glass for hours and at twice the price I can't afford or justify it for my personal needs. If Sightron offered a 2.5-17.5 or anything in that range I would jump all over it! I have a 300 blackout in need of glass, and would definetly upgrade several other rifles with that scope. I would also, pending testing, strongly consider it for work (LE Sniper). Now if Sightron would offer a LE discount like Vortex, Burris, Bushnell, and several others that would be great. I spend a lot of money on work gear that will be taken as evidence if it is used to engage someone and I don't like the idea of being out several thousand dollars, but want the best gear available.

I have a Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 on the way. Should be here early next week. I decided on this one due to the glass (I heard that it was a wee bit better than Sightron). I got the illuminated MOA-3 Reticle with MOA turrets. I will post a review seeing as there are WAY TOO FEW reviews of that scope.

Thank you all for your help!

-Mega

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.