Sightron vs Nikon vs Leupold?

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by estone, Jan 7, 2009.

1. estone

estone New Member

I am looking at four different 3x9 scopes for a Tikka T3 hunter in .308. By budget is $225 or less.
    I have four that I've narrowed it down to:

Sightron SII (new) - $205 shipped
    Nikon Monarch (used, I believe it is a couple of years old) - $200
    Leupold Vari-X II (older model, used) - $175-200 shipped
    Leupold VX-I (new) - $200

They all have similar warranties and have heard very good things about all of them. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  2. estone

estone New Member

1. I have read alot of conflicting reports. Some say the Nikon Monarch 3x9 has better glass. Some say the Sightron II 3x9 has better glass. Which is it?
    2. Some say the mechanicals on the Nikon are inferior?
    So what is the truth? There's got to be one with better glass and one with better mechanicals, which is it?

3. A New 3x9 Nikon Monarch is $300+
    A new 3x9 Sightron II is $200. Should I be fooled by the lower price on the Sightron?

4. It seems you are paying for a Leupold in their warranty, but not really getting a better scope when looking at similar priced scopes from Nikon or Sightron? ie. Sightron II vs Nikon Monarch vs Leupold Vari-X II vs VX-I.

Any opinions would be great. :)

3. jeff 300

jeff 300 Well-Known Member

you may take a look at vortex as well

4. KRP

KRP Well-Known Member

The Nikon would be my first choice. The Monarchs have better glass than the standard Sightron SIIs, never compared the Big Sky models. You can still find the "Team Primos" Nikons(UCC Monarchs) for ~$200 new if you don't mind the BDC reticle.

5. estone

estone New Member

Thanks for the info. Tough choice.

6. kmad61

kmad61 Member

Nikon first and SII second.

7. cdog

cdog Well-Known Member

I think I would trade a weak argument in glass for a great reputation in repeatable adjustments?
    Big sky it is!
    Cdog.