Leica Cust. Service?

Unless I broke them by dropping them in a wood chipper, I'd be twisted too.

What bothered me the most was their indifference to the issue....you could at least act like you care.

I even bought a Swarovski X5 riflescope this year without even considering a Leica.

If you do a search here you will find allot of negative Leica posts.

Yes, Leica is dead to me

Mike, you missed the part where I left it out in the rain. The 1000 was only water resistant, so my fault not rf's. Leica knew what I did, and gave me a new one...and an upgrade. I like Leica's glass and prompt rangeing better than anything I've used. Far as fogging, had a Swarovski scope fog up last year, water condensation inside. So, we'll see how their CS treats me.
Yeah, I get it but, rangefinders and rain... you don't try to abuse your stuff but hey, it's outdoor equipment. Not everybody is shooting a SI swimsuit photoshoot on the beach and party afterwards. Outdoor equipment should hold up.

So now that I know I can't afford to fix my Leica 8 x 50's what medium priced model is thought to be the best value. Do we have any source like the old days with BetterViewDesired to honestly compare products. It does me no good to have 50 people respond with "I have brand x and they work great!". I have Swarovski Big Eyes but need personal binocs for casual sweeps. How about sources I should be able to trust with used Swarovskis?

I'm in the same boat while using my geovids last week I just couldn't see as clear as I thought I should. Pulled out my vortex cheap back ups and pow great. I know this was not the case last time I used them so either my eyes are messed up or something happened. I do notice very fine 3-4 scratches in my lens on one side but not sure they would be the issue. Hoping it doesn't cost me a ton. Love the bios and ranging stuff but it will be hard to buy another pair when Nikon and others take good care of us.

As always, you gotta give the manufacturer a shot at taking care of you. Fortunately for us, most consumers can say what they think about a product without having to go through a third party like a magazine writer or a factory rep. Take it straight to the masses as it were. Good companies like that. Others, not so much.

What is the Leica contact info for returns or service? I went to the web site, but its not real clear what the process is.

Go to the bottom of their website. There's usually a link "Contact Us". Shoot them an e-mail detailing the problem. I got a response the same day and I must say, that was pretty darn good. I would much rather never have a need to contact them but that part was OK. Shipping is on your dime.

I sent an email on Sunday got one at 8:30 am saying they wil send me shipping label to check them out.

Dang, I should'a waited till Sunday. The service got better in just a couple of days??? Fact is, I'm used to companies providing a shipping label on returns but don't get real twisted either way. I just make a mental note and move on. So did you do a little sweet talk'in to get your shipping label cause I can defiantly be more charming if I know it would save me $23 just to put a broken piece of kit on their doorstep?

On second thought, I'll bet yours are under warranty or something although that wasn't a question they asked me at the time.

They didn't ask anything more. I just told them I expected better and she told me what she thought was wrong and to send them in. We shall see. After taking a second look it may just be my eyes from my contacts as they looked good and much better than my vortex this time. But I'll send it in to see about a lens swap cost. Those fine scratches bother me now that I know they are there.

I sent an old beat up pair of 10x42 Trinovids in last year to have them looked at as they didn't seem to focus like they once did. They went completely through them, cleaned them up and even put new rubber armor on the binoculars at no charge. These binoculars are close to 20 years old and when I got them back they performed like they did when they were brand new. Thanx again Leica!

This is why someone invented Swaro. I went through 3 Leica range finders before i switched and have never looked back....only forward with accuracy and clarity.

So an update...

I sent the rangefinder in. It took about a week to get there, which makes sense seeing as how I'm in the West and they're in the East. Leica Customer Service sent me a confirmation e:mail saying they got it and they'll get back once it's been evaluated. Well, they never got back but that's OK. I got a new identical model as a replacement. I got my previous case and they forgot to return the lanyard which I don't care about but still...

So it seems to work great. I'll need to see if the beam is centered to the reticle and it's ranging capabilities. I noticed, and this is probably identical to the old one, I can't remember, but it measures the barometric pressure in PSI. Now PSI is something I totally understand in my non-metric head but my ballistic program doesn't use it so it's not much use to me. Could be useful if you were a teacher making your students convert things. I hate that.

Anyway... Leica Customer Service. I had a problem. They didn't dick around. They sent me a replacement that seems as good/maybe better than the original and they did it really fast after they got it. A replacement is better than I expected or deserved so I have to give them a thumbs up on their Customer Service.

Now the quality of the new product... that remains to be determined. The first one was pretty weak. That said, the whole rangefinder thing is sort'a new so "amazing" may have been a little much to ask for when they came out with that model. What's important is that they didn't dump bad products on the public, like a certain repeating lever action gun maker with a loading gate that was taken into the Borg of Guns, Freedom Group (now Remington Outdoor Company). Nope, Leica treated me right. Personally, I don't need a rangefinder to wipe my rear for me. I need it to be accurate, tough and reliable under all conditions and by all conditions, I mean it better never ever fog up again. I may put this one in my range bag and get another one for the real deal. I guess cause of how they treated me, I'll have to give them first crack at my business.

Good to hear Mike!

Maybe they changed things since I had my issue but since I switched over to Swarovski I have been very happy and I'll never go back to Leica.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.