Leica Cust. Service?

Curious to know what they told you on the phone, and also what they will do for you...

No service rep interaction by phone but email produced a same-day response (that's pretty good). Email has a return form to fill out and shipping instructions. I think I got $300 extra insurance, a box and some bubble wrap. Cost me $23 from Idaho to New Jersey. Reasonable considering what it would cost me if I drove it to them. Correspondence indicated they will get back to me with an estimate. So far so good. As luck would have it, it crapped out on me 2 days before I planned on using it. Guess I'll have to go old school and pour honey all over the end of my gun and wait for the critter to come up and lick it off. Now that I'm looking into it a bit more, I'm surprised by the volume of failures.

I will NEVER EVER buy another Leica product!

I had a fiasco last year with fogging Geovids and contacted "Roxanne" at their headquarters in NJ. They said that they had to send the unit back to Europe with a 6 month wait, $800 charge, and NO replacement for hunting season while they were gone...and she was a bit nasty about it.

I went out and bought a set of Swarovski EL Range and never looked back.

I sent in a pair of Leica 10x42 Trinovids for eyecup replacements as they were cracked, cleaning and alignment check, it cost me a Cpl hundred bucks in the end which wasn't so bad but it took 2.5 months from the time I received them back, so mailing them to New Jersey form British Columbia and return all in all wasn't terrible for turn around time.

I'm a little less patient in terms of turnaround. I can tow my service vehicle into a shop and in most cases have a new engine in it and waiting for me in the parking lot in a week or two. Some of my optics, this one included, I use occasionally for work so down time exposes me an interruption in service which could translate to an interruption in income. Of course I would buy a new one if I thought it came to that but this one really isn't all that old and fairly gently used. It's really no different though if a piece of equipment came between a person and their hunt or vacation. Those aren't cheap either.

Wow ! I have nothing but good to say about Leica, and their CS. I originally got a 1000 rf years ago. Had it in NZ where ( my fault ) I left it outside one night it rained. Cost me a stag that trip from mis-ranging. Sent it back...Leica sent me a new 1200 - FREE ! Last year after hard use, the 1200 just quit...sent it back...Leica sent me a new 1600 FREE ! They must like me. I'm looking for more Leica stuff to buy.

Wow ! I have nothing but good to say about Leica, and their CS. I originally got a 1000 rf years ago. Had it in NZ where ( my fault ) I left it outside one night it rained. Cost me a stag that trip from mis-ranging. Sent it back...Leica sent me a new 1200 - FREE ! Last year after hard use, the 1200 just quit...sent it back...Leica sent me a new 1600 FREE ! They must like me. I'm looking for more Leica stuff to buy.

Ha ha, your hearing "new range finder" and I'm hearing "missed due to mis-ranging". That's cool they took care of you though.

I have had very good luck with Leica CS over the years, in one instance with an older pair of binoculars, a call to Doug at Cameraland fixed everything like magic.

I will NEVER EVER buy another Leica product!

I had a fiasco last year with fogging Geovids and contacted "Roxanne" at their headquarters in NJ. They said that they had to send the unit back to Europe with a 6 month wait, $800 charge, and NO replacement for hunting season while they were gone...and she was a bit nasty about it.

I went out and bought a set of Swarovski EL Range and never looked back.

Unless I broke them by dropping them in a wood chipper, I'd be twisted too.

Seems like an odd question but don't they put seals in rangefinders? I mean, what's with all the fogging? I haven't had a rifle scope fog on me in decades or even heard of one failing that way in the last 20 years.

Ha ha, your hearing "new range finder" and I'm hearing "missed due to mis-ranging". That's cool they took care of you though.
Mike, you missed the part where I left it out in the rain. The 1000 was only water resistant, so my fault not rf's. Leica knew what I did, and gave me a new one...and an upgrade. I like Leica's glass and prompt rangeing better than anything I've used. Far as fogging, had a Swarovski scope fog up last year, water condensation inside. So, we'll see how their CS treats me.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.