Kirby Allen

The best way to start a dialog with Kirby is to e-mail him. Just click on "fiftydriver" and you will get his personal email address.

Kirby built my .338 Kahn for me. In one word "awsome" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
He did a great job on the rifle, it not only shoots great, it looks great as well. I posted a pic last night on the thread "buck @ 406 and doe @ 689) if you have not seen it already. If there is a more powerfull .338 round out there I don't know of it and you can't go wrong getting Kirby to build it for you.

oneshot976,

E-mail sent.

As most know in here the quickest way to converse with me is via e-mail as I am the secratery, supply boy, cleaning crew, billing person and oh yes, gunsmith at APS. I check and respond to e-mails early in the morning and generally late at night before sack time.

If you call, leave a message and I will return your call first chance I get.

Look forward to mauling over another 338 Kahn project, always love to build the big 338s!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Exactly what is a 338 Kahn? How does it compare to the 338 RUM? I may just have to have one.

Derek,

The 338 Kubla Kahn is made from the parent case of the 338-378 Weatherby. It has a 30 degree shoulder rather than the double compound radius of the 338-378. There is a small increase in case capacity of around 8 to 10 percent.

Both the Kahn and the 338-378 are significantly larger in case capacity than the 338RUM.

Here is a picture of all three, left to right, 338RUM, 338-378, 338 Kahn. All three are loaded with 210grn TSX bullets. [image][/image]

For a comparison of velocity between the Kahn and the 338RUM, just use the 338-378. For example out of the Barnes manual: 338RUM 200grn XFB, highest listed vel. 3186, 338-378 same bullet, 3338. And for real world, with my HP Precision 338RUM I can get 3250 out of the Barnes 210 TSX, with my 338 Kahn I can get 3500. I am getting 3150 with the Kahn and 250grn SMKs.

RDM, thank you. I'm assuming Kirby designed the Kahn. What action is yours built on? I may have to get one in 2006.

Kirby built my Kahn, but I don't know where the Kahn originated. Maybe Kirby will pick up this thread and he may know who designed it.

Mine is built on a Weatherby action. I sent Kirby my 338-378 because it was not shooting well. When I got it back from him things had changed a bit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

He is currently building me a new rifle on a Nesika Bay action. It is going to be a 338 Lapua unless I change my mind and go with the Lapua Imp. or another Kahn.

Derek M.,

RDM416 is right on with his reply with one exception, the shoulder angle is 35 degrees instead of 30 degrees. Everything else in on the money.

I DID NOT design the Kahn. It is the work of Kenny Jerrett and my reamer is built to his exact specs. That said, I will be returning my reamer to have the throat angle modified from Kennies 3 degree angle to a 1-30-00 angle which will be much more pressure friendly when using hard bullets. Should offer a much shallower pressure curve with these hard bullets.

RDM416 can take over his rifle specifics from here.

Kirby Allen(50)

Mindcrime:

What length will the CZ550 hold? The loaded 338-408 is darn near 4.30" long. I know it will work with the 505 gibbs, but that uses a short bullet.

[ QUOTE ]
Mindcrime:

What length will the CZ550 hold? The loaded 338-408 is darn near 4.30" long. I know it will work with the 505 gibbs, but that uses a short bullet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Max loaded length in the CZ is about 3.85". I was just hoping for a short throat, so I would stick with 250 grain bullets. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif I have two sample .408 CheyTac sample rounds and with the base of the cartridge seated to the back of the box magazine, I still have around .70" more length for bullet length. That would seat a 250 gr. Barnes X pretty deep in the case; the base of the bullet would be slightly under the shoulder junction. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Kirby keeps trying to talk me into a .338 Kahn, since he has the reamer already. Maybe that would actually make more sence because the Cheytac is going to need at least a 30 inch barrel to burn all that power. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

......Or maybe the .416 PGW, which is a Cheytac necked up for .416 bullets (of which I have plenty of---I have TWO .416 Rigbys). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.