224 Update Kirby?

G

Hi Kirby
Have the winds been kind enough to you to allow some further testing of the 224 Allen Mag yet?
APB

APS,

Seems I designed the little bomb a bit to square, was having some extraction issues at top pressure. I sent the reamer back to get 15 thou more taper put in the case body. Should about to about a grain and a half of capacity loss!!!

I also got sick of turning case necks so I ordered a properly sized neck reamer to open the chamber neck up so no turning would be needed. This way I have the option for both.

Once I get the reamer back I will set the barrel back and rechamber to make sure this solves the sticky extraction issues and then I will get the FL dies ordered for some real serious load testing.

Getting custom tooling made sure takes alot of time though!!!

Its coming, just slow going right now!!

Kirby Allen(50)

You didn't have to stick it in the freezer did you? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks Kirby for the update.
I have been away banging at bunnies in NZ for awhile and am obviously interested in this new round of yours with the ignition trials etc.
APB

No stuck cases, just sticky extraction at top pressures, that being a 100 gr ULD RBBT above 3300 fps in the 27" barrel.

A bit more taper should solve the problem.

Kirby Allen(50)

APB,

I am pretty excited about this little pill also. Hopefully will have her tuned in for some chuck hunting this summer and maybe some yote popping as well.

One of many projects on the table, to many projects to little time, especially when you have to pay the **** bills /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

I got try the 100 grain wildcat RBBT out in the wind, and it works. I took my 22 dasher 6.5 twist pac-nor to a local 500 yard ground shoot. Winds were 30 miles per hour plus. PPC's were having a really hard time, and some of the heavy mags were getting blown off the paper. I held dead center and only got a couple inches of drift. My velcioty is only 2900 FPS but they do have a very high B.c. I think that 100 wildcat RBBT shoots just about as good as my 7wsm and 180 berger in the wind. Good luck with your 22 wsm and hope your tooling arrives. Richard does make some slippery bullets

Reed Mosser.

If you don;t mind, could you tell me what rifling pattern you are using in your Pac nor 6.5 twist? Your right, they are an impressive bullet, typical from that little Alberta Canada shop though!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.