Kirby Allen 224 AM progress?

It has been real windy here lately as well. We haven't had a calm day in a little over a week. I just got some test rounds loaded up for a friends 7 WSM. Looking to test the 120g Btips for coyotes. I am anxious to see what the 7 WSM will do, because I am kinda leaning towards it for a custom rig. Dang wind!!

Here's what it looks like this morning @ Kirby's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Yep, the only place in MT where ya can't shoot. Location-location-location./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
332Weather-_-Kirby_s.jpg

So Roy, why don't you offer to drive over and get it and take it back to Idaho for testing? You can swing by Jimm's and get the his chronograph too while you are out and about.

[ QUOTE ]
So Roy, why don't you offer to drive over and get it and take it back to Idaho for testing? You can swing by Jimm's and get the his chronograph too while you are out and about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thinking about heading to Ft. Shaw next week, now that you mention it. Gotta see what Kirby's schedule is. I have a little work for him regarding some of my speeriments. Gonna swap out the 338 Win bbl for a 338 Rum take off bbl. Also, he has my 721 action and am somewhere in the que (hopefully first) for a 224 AM. I'm one of those habitual early adopter folks, ya know, the bleeding edge. BTW, how's your hand? It didn't hurt the vette, did it?

Would swing by jimm's but have no idea of his location.

The weather is blustery here and headed for rain later. But I'll still get some time in on the "Swiss Navy" project.

Here's my weather:
Blackfoot (BLK)
Data: Feb/01/06 08:05 (MST)

Wind
Speed: 8 mph
Gust: 15 mph
Direction: 200 degrees

Air Temperature
6-ft: 33.6 °F
Wind Chill: 26.8 °F
50-ft: 33.5 °F

Atmospheric Moisture
Relative Humidity: 93 %
Dew Point: 31.8 °F

Barometer
Absolute: 25.275 in Hg
Sea Level: 29.715 in Hg

Solar Energy
Solar Radiation: 3 W/m2

Have a NOAA station up the road a ways. Pretty neat.

My hand is better. Some of that stuff was a minor exaggeration just for humor, but I still cannot zip up my pants with my left hand. I am going to paint the vette red because most of it is already red from all of my blood everyhwere. One of the bad things (there are no good things) about getting older is that the skin on your hands gets real thin and you get lots of cuts real easy.

It is supposed to rain this saturday. Duck season is over and there is only squirrel and geese left to shoot and then I will be like you and Jimm. Just punching paper.

Good luck at Kirby's.

Had 3 different seasons today. None of which were winter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

W/the swiss navy project, I came to a fork and the road, so I took it. T'was for naught. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'll spend the rest of the evening destroying all evidence that I even tried. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Will proceed down the road as it was before I came to the fork.

1. The Road Not Taken

TWO roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth; 5

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same, 10

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back. 15

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference. 20

I here ya!

Been the story of my life, or so it seems.

One problem is, is that path is traveled by so few that ya get a little lonesome. And when you are among those on the well traveled path, when you describe what you're doin' all you get back is what I call the "dead doe" look or maybe its the deer in the head light look. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Headed out to see if the local Radio Shack has a type K thermocouple. The swiss navy project lives on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Screech

You were sleeping during American Literature or else you are as old as me and memory is going bad. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ROBERT Frost

It was for Kirby and Roy. Being different or going down roads where the sheep do not go but there are only a few goats is a hard way to jouney through life. But the rewards are that you know you gave life your very best and on the occaisions when you fail you still know that you at least tried and did not hide under the bed. You faced it like a man and went out with your boots on and guns blazing.

I don't really care whether a person plows a mule, lays bricks, build guns, or sits at a desk. Life is there and you can go with the crowd or you can go where your heart leads you.

Robert Frost says it tactfully. I just say sheep and goats. You can follow or you can lead.

Kirby is certainly down a road "less traveled" with the front ignition.

How bout this from a FORTRAN text book many, many moons ago:

"And nothing to look backward to with pride,
And nothing to look forward to with hope."
-Robert Frons, The Death of the Hired Man

What's that have to do with LRH. All we want is a little more barrel life. Like 50%

The real pioneers of this front ignition were Rocky Gibbs and Elmer Keith and a few others of that same time. Luckily we have the tools available now to make it as practical as possible compared to that time in history.

Nothing ground breaking here, just trying to take some old ideas and make them new again!!!

It is certainly frustrating at times but it is also alot of fun and once in a while you get something that actually works pretty well. Sometimes you have to wipe the dirt off your lip as well!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Hey Buffalobob,

Looking for an independent observation, ok?

Lab conditions were shooting bench in pasture behind the house, as usual.

I'll give you all of the info except one. I don't play fair. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif But after your scientific nobel prize winning determination I'll unveil the hidden ingredient(s).

I'd like to determine if the test is "pretty much" valid as I was forced by conditions to use two different powders. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

But tried to keep velocities similar. Figuring that the same amount of energy is necessary, to a point, to get similiar velocities out of two different powders.

The question: Should it be expected the same rate of barrel heating would occur for two similar powders when producing similar velocities all other variables being the same (or close)?

Here's the results.

332Barrel-Temperature-Test-med.jpg

Well I shoot both 4350 and RL22.

Assuming you measured at about the same point on the barrel I would have expected the temperatures to be closer together. With a 7mmWby mag I burn almost exactly the same amount of powder as you do. My barrel would be a lot hotter than that .
Assuming the same weight bullet and the same wind and the same time between shots Then the weird one is the third shot with 4350. It would be easier to see if you started the graph with initial temperature such as I have below where I calculate the incremental temperature rises. See there is only a 2.9 degree rise for the third shot with 4350.

RL -----55.5------6.8--------62.3----7.2--------69.5--------5.1-----74.6^^^6.36average

4350----54.6-------6.9-----61.5-----5.0--------66.5-----2.9------69.4^^^^4.9average

The temperature rise for the first shot with each powder is the same. For the second shot RL increases by 7.2 degrees and 4350 by 5 degrees for a 2.2 degree difference. For the third shot there is also a 2.2 degree difference between the two powders so we now have a 4.4 degree difference.

There are two questions at hand.

Why was there no difference between heat production of the different powders on the first shot ?

Why did heat production drop so dramatically between shots for 4350? Another couple of shots and there would have been no increase.

So lets see. We are dealing with Roy. What would Roy do?

Roy would load up the last of his floor sweepins with two magnum rifle primers and one large rifle primer and then having no more floor sweepins would break out the good stuff and load one magnum rifle primer and two larger rifle primers.

So Buffalosherlockbobholmes concludes 'Elementary my dear Watson'. RL 22 -two shots with Fed215M and one shot with Fed210. 4350 - one shot with Fed215 and two with Fed210

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.