keyholing bullets

1doug

has any one ever had a 17hmr keyhole the bullets before? I shot my new savage 93 lefthand lastnight to have it keyhole the bullets at 15 yrds. It looked like a perfect bullet going sideways thru the paper. I was using the remington ammo 17 grain. This has really gotten me stumped. I am going to try some different ammo to see if that helps.

Any in put is greatly needed. I will try to post some pics when i get home.
d-a

D-a,

I am not being a jokester here but is there actually rifling in the bore? The reason I ask is because I have seen or heard of at least two instances where a factory 17 HMR rifle had smooth bore barrels on accident of course. Look down the pipe and see what you see!!!

Again, not being a smart A__! This has been a minor problem before!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Sullijr, i am going to send savage a e-mail with pics of the target to see what they say. but if you only knew how hard it was to acquire a lefthanded 17hmr, you would try to exaust all options first.

Fifty, I never would take you as a jokester,or smart ***. I have always looked for your knowledge. That aside the muzzle has rifleing, and the gases are leaving the grooves uniformly to my eyes ofcourse. [image]http://photobucket.com/albums/b391/da2848/?action=view&current=100_0694.jpg[/image]

d-a,
I retrieved that photo for you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

dxg36f.jpg

d-a,
I've done that, easy to do. I was eager to see the picture because I had never seen keyholes. Just an idea, using your cleaning rod check and see if the rifling in your barrel is what's suppose to be. It's possible that since you do have riflings, it has the wrong rifling ratio.

Is it possible they put a .22 barrel on that rifle? Are the necks of the fired rounds blown out at all or do they still have their original shape? The Savage model 93 does come in both 22 Mag and 17 HMR.

the brass still has the smaller neck and shoulder, however i had not thought of that

shot it this morning with some hornady 20 gr. xtp, and still has some yawing to it. Contacted savage, and they said they test all the 17 hmr with the 17 grain hornady bullets. Will get the hornady 17 grain and try them.

Sam thanks for the link.

I shot it with the hornady 17 grain bullets yesterday and they did the same. It will be back to savage by friday.

Thanks to everyone with the help.

d-a

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.