New rig keyholing 6mm rem ,

Oldschool280

Hello gang, I took my newest addition to the range today with the only ammo available in my area which was federal 85 grain tsx's which failed miserably with my 1-12 twist rate . Knowing that the mono's are longer i kind of expected it , none the less i had to shoot it . Question is what bullets are you 6mm guys reccomending these days for punching paper with this speed twist ? I see sierra has a 55 grain blitzking , or maybe a light matchking? Never used anythjng from berger before Thinkin maybe try them out. Any guidance will be well appreciated. Accuracy is what im looking for.
I'm waiting for my dies to arrive was going to try some 85 grain gamekings thAt i have, hoping they will shoot. 85 seems at the top of 1-12 to handle From what inhave read on the web. thanx in advance guys! (And gals if any)

Hello gang, I took my newest addition to the range today with the only ammo available in my area which was federal 85 grain tsx's which failed miserably with my 1-12 twist rate . Knowing that the mono's are longer i kind of expected it , none the less i had to shoot it . Question is what bullets are you 6mm guys reccomending these days for punching paper with this speed twist ? I see sierra has a 55 grain blitzking , or maybe a light matchking? Never used anythjng from berger before Thinkin maybe try them out. Any guidance will be well appreciated. Accuracy is what im looking for.
I'm waiting for my dies to arrive was going to try some 85 grain gamekings thAt i have, hoping they will shoot. 85 seems at the top of 1-12 to handle From what inhave read on the web. thanx in advance guys! (And gals if any)

Nosler 70gr Varmageddon or 65gr Hornady V-MAX two best bullets for a 1:12.

Before trying another bullet I would go to an online bullet stability calculator (Berger has a good one) and put in the appropriate info (barrel twist, bullet length, etc) to find the stability factor. Pretty simple as it gives you directions.

Oldschool280,

Question is what bullets are you 6mm guys reccomending these days for punching paper with this speed twist ? Accuracy is what im looking for.

Some basic math to get you started shows that you can start with a bullet length of 0.980" approximately. This includes the Hornady 6mm 87 grain HPBT at 0.960" for starters. It is necessary to concentrate on keeping the velocity up in the neighborhood of 3300 fps. This is actually a reasonable load using IMR-4350 with the bullet seated at magazine length. Nothing tricky, unique or high pressure.

Regards.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.