7mm 110gr TTSX keyholing

adam32+P

So my Dad and cousin went and shot his Rem 700 7rem mag today. They used a mild load of AA-3100 that we use for my sister's rifle (shoots 1/2moa in hers) and it keyholed. The first two shots were fine, the next two keyholed. They were shooting at 25 yards just to get it on paper. Even a super slow twist and a long bullet shouldn't keyhole that quickly.

I had them bring the rifle over so I could check it out. Ammo was fine. The barrel measured a 1/10 maybe a 1/10.25. I ran the bullet in the Berger stability calculator and it popped out a 1.96 SG, plenty stable.

So I'm really not sure what could be the issue, I thought perhaps they "bounced" the bullet into the target and they both said no.

The only other thing I can think of is if the bullets are slightly undersized and not getting enough engraving pressure to stabilize them?

Thoughts? Am I missing something obvious???

158978~2.jpeg

So my Dad and cousin went and shot his Rem 700 7rem mag today. They used a mild load of AA-3100 that we use for my sister's rifle (shoots 1/2moa in hers) and it keyholed. The first two shots were fine, the next two keyholed. They were shooting at 25 yards just to get it on paper. Even a super slow twist and a long bullet shouldn't keyhole that quickly.

I had them bring the rifle over so I could check it out. Ammo was fine. The barrel measured a 1/10 maybe a 1/10.25. I ran the bullet in the Berger stability calculator and it popped out a 1.96 SG, plenty stable.

So I'm really not sure what could be the issue, I thought perhaps they "bounced" the bullet into the target and they both said no.

The only other thing I can think of is if the bullets are slightly undersized and not getting enough engraving pressure to stabilize them?

Thoughts? Am I missing something obvious???

Just a WAG here, you're barrel seems a bit slow though adequate and you're shooting a mild charge…..is it possible that the combination simply isn't stabilizing the bullet? memtb

It's not stabilizing the bullet at such a short range.
Maybe push it a little faster or check it at 75-100 to see what it does

After looking at the target again were all 4 shots being aimed at the center??

Just a WAG here, you're barrel seems a bit slow though adequate and you're shooting a mild charge…..is it possible that the combination simply isn't stabilizing the bullet? memtb

That's possible. I ran the calculator down to 2800fps and it was still stable. If I recall the load was above 3000 when I loaded it a couple years ago.

It's not stabilizing the bullet at such a short range.
Maybe push it a little faster or check it at 75-100 to see what it does

After looking at the target again were all 4 shots being aimed at the center??

I believe so, the first two were lower right so my Dad adjusted it over to the left and then shot the other two.

The rifle hasn't been shot in about 15 years and it was basically new at that time. Has less than 60 rounds thru it.

It's the only lead free ammo we have for a 7rem mag and my cousin decided this year he wants to hunt again...and of course season starts in a week 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

If I have time this week I'll work up a load with some Hammers or whatever else I have available on the shelf. But this keyholing thing has me confused.

Hmmm if he made two adjustments, first left and shot then adjusted the second time up I can see how it would look like that.
But the thing that would be concerning would be only one adjustment and the two keyholes that far apart 🤔