Just saying hi.

Bill and Opus

Found this page while doing some research, seemed fantastic. Sensory overload actually. So thought I would say hi and introduce myself.

It has been a long time since I have fired long arms, mostly with my time in the US Army and Iraq. The US Army 300m qualifying range was the longest range I used with the M16, but was always fascinated with long range shooting and bolt actions. Fast forward a few years, I am in a place where I would like to start doing what I wanted to do. I would like to hunt again, and would like to just hit targets down range because it is so much fun. On top of that, my other goal is to start reloading.

I do not have long arms or reloading equipment. So I have been doing some research (hence I found this place) on firearms to start with. Money is a limiting factor, so I started looking at the 'entry' arms by the Big 4 makers. Each manufacturer had some great values, and have seen a few successful 'reporting' by individuals as a LR rifle. But they were few and far between, which lead me to raise the mark in quality. Currently, my eyes have been lusting for either the Rem 700 series (tried and true) or the Savage 10/11 series (proven also).

My brain (looking at cost of shooting, reloading, and the ability to have some take down punch for deer, elk) gravitates towards the .308. Brass is plentiful, lots of bullet options, and I am familiar with the round (in the form of the M60 though). My first goal (once I acquire my LR) is to be consistent in the 300m to 600m range.

I am always open to directions, teaching, scolding (if needed), but I know also opinions are like butts. Everyone has one, some are bigger than others. With that, if you see anything that would steer me a better direction, I will listen to you.

Sorry for the long hello, thanks for reading (if you made it this far), and look forward to being an active participant in the future.

Pleaee tell me your second choice for a User Name and I will change it. :)

Len Backus
LRH PUBLISHER

This pretty much somes up all of us here...

Attachments

• IMG_0152.JPG
    IMG_0152.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 21
Found this page while doing some research, seemed fantastic. Sensory overload actually. So thought I would say hi and introduce myself.

It has been a long time since I have fired long arms, mostly with my time in the US Army and Iraq. The US Army 300m qualifying range was the longest range I used with the M16, but was always fascinated with long range shooting and bolt actions. Fast forward a few years, I am in a place where I would like to start doing what I wanted to do. I would like to hunt again, and would like to just hit targets down range because it is so much fun. On top of that, my other goal is to start reloading.

I do not have long arms or reloading equipment. So I have been doing some research (hence I found this place) on firearms to start with. Money is a limiting factor, so I started looking at the 'entry' arms by the Big 4 makers. Each manufacturer had some great values, and have seen a few successful 'reporting' by individuals as a LR rifle. But they were few and far between, which lead me to raise the mark in quality. Currently, my eyes have been lusting for either the Rem 700 series (tried and true) or the Savage 10/11 series (proven also).

My brain (looking at cost of shooting, reloading, and the ability to have some take down punch for deer, elk) gravitates towards the .308. Brass is plentiful, lots of bullet options, and I am familiar with the round (in the form of the M60 though). My first goal (once I acquire my LR) is to be consistent in the 300m to 600m range.

I am always open to directions, teaching, scolding (if needed), but I know also opinions are like butts. Everyone has one, some are bigger than others. With that, if you see anything that would steer me a better direction, I will listen to you.

Sorry for the long hello, thanks for reading (if you made it this far), and look forward to being an active participant in the future.
Welcome brother.

We have a lot of Savage fans here who can steer you towards their entry level bargains.

Personally I prefer something with a big Mauser claw type extractor so I naturally gravitate to the M70 and M77. That being said my most recent purchase was a 5R Remington 700 and just before it a Model 77 FTW Ruger both in .260 Rem. Both are shooting at or above expectation with factory ammo and should be a breeze to handload for.

This pretty much somes up all of us here...

Welcome brother.

We have a lot of Savage fans here who can steer you towards their entry level bargains.

Personally I prefer something with a big Mauser claw type extractor so I naturally gravitate to the M70 and M77. That being said my most recent purchase was a 5R Remington 700 and just before it a Model 77 FTW Ruger both in .260 Rem. Both are shooting at or above expectation with factory ammo and should be a breeze to handload for.

Thank you.

I picked up a Savage 11VT. That is Dick's Sporting Goods custom model. It was on sale, Savage has a $75 rebate, and the trigger guard was a little dorked up so they knocked another $50 off. So that is $369 for a Savage 11 with a heavy barrel .308. That is good enough for now. May not be the best, but it is not the worst by far. Also picked up some 140 rounds for $0.62 each, so it will make practice a little cheaper.

Thank you.

I picked up a Savage 11VT. That is Dick's Sporting Goods custom model. It was on sale, Savage has a $75 rebate, and the trigger guard was a little dorked up so they knocked another $50 off. So that is $369 for a Savage 11 with a heavy barrel .308. That is good enough for now. May not be the best, but it is not the worst by far. Also picked up some 140 rounds for $0.62 each, so it will make practice a little cheaper.
That'll get you started. Put some of your savings into a good scope and mounts and you'll be off to the races.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.