Just want to say Thank You!

CoachChris

I just want to thank you guys for sharing your experience and knowledge on a public forum. I have learned way more than I could have ever thought.

As you may or may not know I haven't got super buck LR rifles, optics or even access to loading my own rounds. But I still love to shoot.

I haven't had a chance to get to the range in a few weeks but have been getting out with my .22lr almost daily. Plus doing a bunch of grouse hunting with my .410. I got up this morning and decided that I needed to get out to the range with Friday being opening day for rifle deer and elk.

I've changed nearly everything about my technique. I'm still shooting off my pack.
At 100 yds. I shot 2 fouling rds. Then I shot a 6 rd. group about 1.3" above the bullseye, 4 of which were one ragged hole.
At 200 yds, the wind had picked up. It really does its' own thing out there. Bounces off the berms, etc... I was able to keep all rds. on an 8X11 printout target. I had one 1MOA 3 shot group, one 1.5MOA 3 shot group and one 2 shot group in one ragged hole.
At 300 yds. the wind was blowing 25+mph. from 7:30. I took 4 shots, all on paper. The 5th. shot I put up an 8" paper plate. I doped the wind by holding left and hit a (relatively) cold bore bullseye.
I put 40 rds. down range from my 7RM over 6 hrs. and 210 rds. from my .22. The highlight for me with my .22 was a 200yd. bullseye with a 4 power scope zero'd at 50yds.

I know to you guys this is nothing but to me this means a lot when I'm shooting a $400.00 rifle w/ a $200.00 scope and factory ammo, prone off a backpack with no bags or buttrest.

So thanks for putting this all out there to be learned from!

Chris

Last edited:
Congrats Chris. Sounds like you're ready for the furry critters starting Friday.

It sounds like you already know that you will have to limit your shot yardages to what the field conditions will allow. Distance we can range and easily account for but the wind is what will get you every time.

Good luck and let us know how you do with the deer and elk.;)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.