Jewell triggers... what do I really get for the $200??

I really like the pull of my Jewel trigger, but not sure that's it a good choice for real hunting.

When I first installed it I adjusted it down to around 1 lb just to check it out and it was not safe. If I gave the buttstock a firm (not hard) bump on the kitchen table it would fire.

As far as I know there is no way to fix that problem without increasing the pull weight.

LRH.....I would be talking to Jewell if I were you. The trigger should not do that!

Once you buy a Jewell, as others have stated, you will know the difference and won't even have to ask. It WILL make you a better shooter and they are safer (IMO) than a tinkered with factory trigger that has a heavier pull rate.......Rich
p.s. Usually if a Jewell goes off, it is because it is dirty. You have to keep them clean!

Right it should not do that, but looking at the design I don't see anything to prevent it Maybe I'm wrong it's been a few years since I looked at one closely. I would really be interested for others that have their trigger under a pound to try this along with slamming the bolt home.

Right it should not do that, but looking at the design I don't see anything to prevent it Maybe I'm wrong it's been a few years since I looked at one closely. I would really be interested for others that have their trigger under a pound to try this along with slamming the bolt home.

I've had that happen to more than one remmy that I've tried to adjust too light or shorten the sear engagement. Try cleaning the trigger by flushing with lighter fluid or mineral spirits and see if it helps?. I just tried slamming my new build down four times with the trigger set on two ounces (jewell) and nothing happened!.........Rich

Just got my Gunwerks 6.5x284 this afternoon. Not sure if it's a Jewel, but wow!! Best trigger I have ever felt in my life!...and I have a few very nice guns. Can't wait to shoot it. A great trigger is a must for accurate shooting. Probably be the best $200 you ever spend!

A pound and a half is a light trigger, I see no need to go lighter on a rifle carried in the field, and these rifles are always carried magazine full, chamber empty.
While 1.5lb can be fine, so can 1.5oz. I use BR Jewells in the field(just as I use them at a range) without issue, because I'm used to it, I developed loads with it.
Factors in this:
#1 A trigger is more than just pull. It affects bolt timing, striker consistency, and shooter hold. Believe it or not, a trigger can greatly affect your grouping.
Kelby's actions were not big performers with Jewells, so he adjusted with his trigger for better performance -in Kelby actions. BAT actions on the other hand, are designed for Jewells.
So when you swap triggers, accept up front that your load and shooting may change with it.
#2 Shooter perspective can have a big affect on performance. If you don't love the feel of your shooting, let me tell ya, do all you can to get there. It's worth it. Even little things like the trigger shoe width, or curve, or angles, where the stock puts your trigger hand, changes your perspective on release.

With this, it cannot be said without testing(by someone) that any particular trigger is 'best' for your gun, and/or you.
I think it can be suggested to find out though.

Kelby's actions were not big performers with Jewells, so he adjusted with his trigger for better performance -in Kelby actions. BAT actions on the other hand, are designed for Jewells.

Dont know about that, most of if not all the Kelbly Panda action's I saw at the benchrest match last weekend still wore a Jewell.
And yes my BAT did also, I think Kelbly is just trying to market their trigger saying it is better but alot of shooter's dont think so.

Yeah uncleb, you may be right. My basis is only from some communication out there by Kelby.
The implication(that I took from it) was interference between a Jewell striker arm lock and firing pin sear(during forward movement), dragging a bit. This was causing inconsistent striking/lock time.
Kelby adjusted the design to provide more clearance, and reduce the variance in lock times.
While good, IMO, a problem solved only where a problem exists.
Neither Stiller, nor Bats, seem to hold such an issue with Jewells. But there are some using Kelbys trigger with them, and happy enough. That's good to read. The more trigger choices, the better.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.