Jewell triggers... what do I really get for the $200??

An old thread revitalized..... :)

My take is there are a number of good aftermarket triggers, Jewell is just one. I prefer Volquartsen or ASI myself for drop in and with some skill and the proper tools and common sense, reworking a trigger group isn't beyond the realm of an experienced owner. thats handy with oilstones and small hand tools.... and of course enough mechanical aptitude to disassemble the trigger and put it back in working order again.......:rolleyes:

Factory triggers (with the exception of the Savge Accurtigger) are all a product of mass produced machining and government mandated safety issues, why Savage has a patent on theirs and sell just the trigger group if you want to custom build....

I've stoned lots of sears, and smoothed machining marks plus removed side play and so long as it's done carefully, it's all good.

I just bought my first Jewel trigger and to be honest, I was a little disappointed.

It is adjusted to about 8 oz and I couldn't seem to get the creep out of it. When I adjusted the creep out, I'd have to be careful on closing the bolt. If I closed it quickly, it went off. My father has a trigger of unknown brand on one of his rifles and it is much better.

I have since played with it some more and have improved it considerable but still can't slam the bolt home.

Last edited:
I have Jewels on a few of my rifles as well as tuned factory triggers. I think the Jewel shines if you are working with a rig with a trigger weight under one or two pounds. I personally prefer more weight on my hunting rigs, generally in the 2.5-3# range. In this case, the Jewel may not offer an advantage to a well tuned factory trigger. I personally do not like the trigger width of the Jewel for hunting, it's too narrow for my trigger method, and I don't trust the built in safety design. Have had some problems. I think the trigger was designed primarily for Bench rest/target work. IMHO.

Savage is no longer the only rifle manufacturer with a sweet trigger on an OTC rifle. Weatherby Vanguard Series 2's now have a 2-stage match grade trigger that is extremely respectable if you like anything between 2.5 and 5 pounds. I feel pretty confidant that Weatherby doesn't have a $200.+ Jewel trigger on a $469.00 rifle?

There is great truth regarding the benefits of a good trigger and that most OTC rifles triggers are seriously poor quality. (I know, I have a Vanguard Series 1 with a stock trigger - geeesh - replaced with Timney) But .... for many people, that extra $100.00 dollars just might not be seriously justified. Timney makes a nice replacement trigger as well and for almost half the price of a Jewel for most rifles.

This thread is similar to one of the scope threads on here. I am thinking for many hunters and shooters, something like a $110.00 timney trigger would make one a very happy and satisified shooter and also leave some money in the wallet for the family or other products.

"To each his own", but you can also purchase a lesser costing Timney trigger and if you don't like it, re-sell for a $20.00 loss too.

This is just my personal humble thought: The idea of spending monies for ridiculous over-priced products when a much lesser product performs just as perfectly good? In these recent years, there is too much "kool-aid" drinking. Decide if you want to drink the kool-aid and support the over-inflated product prices :rolleyes: or use some of your common sense, purchase a decent but not over-priced product and support your family. lightbulb

Just my $.02 worth.
...and no I do not work for either Weatherby or Timney. I just care about fellow hunters and shooters.

338winmag

A very important consideration... Trigger pull on a field rifle and something that I didn't take into account...

My benchrest rifle has a very light pull trigger, ir's a reworked by me factory Ruger trigger that pulls at 2 pounds, however, I personally don't want that light pull on a field gun, 3-4.5 is perfectly acceptable, well within the scope of a Savage trigger group (IMO). Not familiar with Weatherby new manufacture, don't own one...

Light pull on a field gun (in the heat of the moment) might be a blown off foot...in my case at leasr......:D

I like a 2-3 # for hunting. I was out one day and it was -15, I was elk hunting and took a shot up at timberline. I was cold and could not feel real good. As I hiked up mountain I saw blood dripping in snow, hah 340 tatoo.I have a 20 0z. wide trigger, with stop on a old comp. pistol of mine, I just like more on my hunting, because I get colder at times.

Attachments

• 340 tatoo.jpg
    340 tatoo.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 101
Who makes triggers for the older Savage 112 flat rear actions? Mine doesn't resemble any in the Brownells or Midway catalogs. It has a single countersunk screw that holds it in place against a lateral groove in the bottom of the receiver. It has an integral safety mounted on the side of the trigger housing that pushes a pointed pin in and out from the side of the action and blocks the trigger travel. It's problem is that creep can't be tweeked out without disabling the safety.

I agree that Jewells are very nice and worth the money. They are also very reliable and safe at incredibly low settings(something rare in factory).

My favorite trigger(better than Jewell IMO) is the Anschutz 5018 two stage(~$350).
And I hear Grunigs are even better still(but run ~$485)

It's like really good glass. Once you've had it, there is no going backwards.

some folks think that Anschutz trigger is the best in the world other than the electronic ones. Another better one is the one George Kelby builds. Never seen a Grunig, but if it's better than an Anschutz it has to really be something to see!
gary

A gunsmith installed this trigger in my 6.5-.284 about 1 year ago. Worked fine until one day the safety stopped in the middle flip to fire and gun goes off. Cleaned with lighter fluid and compressed air. Got safety to with but flipping to fire and pin would fall. Adjusted with tension on all screws same thing. Called Jewell and they said send it back. 15.00 spent. Three weeks later still no word from Jewell. Called and the guy said its here...looks like he is done with it. That will be 25.00 for shipping and the work. Gave them my credit card #. I was mad that it was their defect and I had to pay. Five days later got trigger back with a receipt and they had charged me $40.00. Save yourself time and money and get a better trigger from Basix.

Jewell triggers are really best for bench shooting, but they still fail regularly unless cleaned often. They are not sealed and are prone to getting contaminated (nature of the beast. So you need a can of lighter fluid on hand all the time (illeagle to have on you in some places by the way). The Kelby is sealed up a lot better, and at least is just as good. Plus lets face it Kelby is well known everywhere for quality. The Anschutz is simply the best trigger I've ever had my fingers on by a good margin. (more Olympics have been won by an Anschutz trigger than all the rest put together several times over). I have a Basix on a Savage, and it's been on it since they first came out with it. Pretty good trigger, but have never shot a Remington with one (I know a few guys that use them, and they all like them) I personally don't like going in the field with a guy that's using a 6oz trigger, no matter how good he is.
gary

Can you guys help me understand why Jewell triggers are worth paying $200+ for? What can I expect out of them that make them "better" than, say, a tuned factory trigger on a Sendero? I just don't get why spending this kind of money on an after market trigger is such a popular thing... what am I missing by not having one?
Factory triggers are unreliable when tuned to a super light pull if it is possible at all..Jewell triggers are crisp, can be tuned with a switch of a spring to a low 1.5 ounce "SAFELY" to other higher pulls but without creep or backlash, Key word "reliable"..If you like to hit teenie tiney targets at super long range, the higher weight pull of a trigger will throw you off..Its a bench rest trigger with a safety..A 1.5 oz trigger in the field is something not to forget,forget to engage your safety while "touching" it (and I mean touching it) and theres no forgiveness; its going to fire....

I just bought my first Jewel trigger and to be honest, I was a little disappointed.

It is adjusted to about 8 oz and I couldn't seem to get the creep out of it. When I adjusted the creep out, I'd have to be careful on closing the bolt. If I closed it quickly, it went off. My father has a trigger of unknown brand on one of his rifles and it is much better.

I have since played with it some more and have improved it considerable but still can't slam the bolt home.
Why did you not send it back? You should because it's not supposed to do that.

Take it to a competent gunsmith and have him adjust it.

Jewell triggers are designed for target and benchrest rifles. They are typically adjusted down to ounces rather than pounds. At a longrange benchrest competition, bolts are not inserted in the action until the Range Master gives the command. All rifles are safely pointed down range and in the rest. These triggers are tuned to fire at a touch, most of these rifles do not even have a safety.

Triggers adusted this light have no place on a hunting rifle, just as a matter of safety and common sense.

I use Shilen, Timney or Rifle Basix triggers on my hunting and varmint rifles and they are all safely adjusted to 1.5#. This is light enough that I have other shooters dry fire one of my rifles several times before they fire a live round just to get use to the trigger pull. A pound and a half is a light trigger, I see no need to go lighter on a rifle carried in the field, and these rifles are always carried magazine full, chamber empty.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.