Is this normal on beam scales?

Bishop

RCBS 5-0-5 scale here's my situation....

I decided to weigh an 80 grain charge of powder a little bit differently after i charged several cases starting at 77g of H1000 graduating in .5 grain increments planning on heading up to 81g.

I moved the Big weight out to the 80 grain mark on the scale, put the 0-10 grain slide on 0, put the 0.1 to 1 grain slide on 0. Threw a charge and trickled it up till the scale read dead even with the indicator mark. This is how i weighed all the charges, using the least weight movement possible. ie not moving the tenth grain slide all the way to 1 grain to go from 77 to 78, instead i moved the big weight to 70, the 0-10 weight to 7, and left the tenth grain weight on zero.

I then wondered what would happen if i moved the big weight back to read 70g and then moved the 0-10 grain slide up to 10g while leaving the .1-1 g slide on 0. Should equal the same reading right?or wrong?

Because between the two method's my reading looked like these 2 pictures.

I did this a second time and made sure the scale was zero'ed again.

Dumping all my charges and starting over regardless, this is touchy stuff.....

What am i doing wrong? and which way is correct?

Attachments

• IMG_0104.jpg
    IMG_0104.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_0105.jpg
    IMG_0105.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Sorry just answered my own question, i didnt have one of the weights EXACTLY pushed down into the groove on top of the beam of the scale.
Modified my method to fix it, PUSH DOWN on the weights instead of just sliding them over till you "think" they drop into the groove. Now they are matching no matter which tier of slides i use. Yikes

feel like an idiot.....