Is this normal?

I have been handloading for about five years and still consider myself as a beginner with alot to learn.

What my possible problem is that when I raise the ram to put the case into the full length sizer die, I have to guide the case in by hand because it looks like it is misaligned and it will sometimes catch if I do not guide it into the die.

I have also been noticing a light ring around about 2/3s of the bullets diameter when I seat the bullet. The ring can also be felt with a fingernail.

I am using a Lee Challenger press and RCBS dies.

Thanks for any advice.
WVHILLBILLYJLM

Welcome to the forum,

If the shell isn't centered, it will catch. I've setup my presses with the spring shell holder keeper spring removed. This allows the shell holder to float a little and self center. The downside is that I need to be careful that the shell is centered. Maybe your keeper broke and is letting the shell holder float? If that is the case, a small rubber band will help keep the shell holder centered.

Another cause could be a shell holder that very loosely holds the shells, without being there, its tough to troubleshoot.

Does the ram appear to be moving straight up?

The ring you are seeing is from the seating stem, Have you cleaned your die lately? A buildup of lube on one side of the stem can cause a mark to appear.

Also, if you are using really old brass, it can get real hard and cause tighter seating, which in turn will require more force and you will start seeing a mark on your bullets.

HTH,
AJ

AJ, I will check the spring and the ram. The brass is new for the gun I load for and older brass for the other. I had recently noticed this problem and the bullets do seem harder to seat. In fact, two of the rounds that I loaded the other day had what appeared to be copper shaved off of the bullet on one side after seating.

Thanks

sounds like you just need a chamfering tool for the inside of the necks. a sharp edge there and it will shave off slivers from the side of the bullet.

I won't say "normal", but Lee Challenger presses will bend. If you don't find any other obvious situation, you might carefully examine this possibility. If the press is bad, replace with cast iron. I am one with prejudices and would suggest another brand; Redding makes the better ones.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.