Beam scales?

In Feb. 1966 I bought a Lyman 505 made by Ohaus when I bought my RCBS Jr. 2 press. It has served me well over the years. I added a RCBS 1010 about 20 years ago and I now use it the most. One time my Lyman got a little out of whack and would hesitate at 2 lines low of 0 then jump. I checked the knife edges on the beam pivot and one had a little flat place on it. ( 2 sons and a wife/bitch in the house who messed with stuff while I was at work) A little fine stone work and it came back to itself. I have had a couple friends bring me scales that were jumpy. Check the contact V's and clean them and hone the knife edges a little and they ran true again.

I have a powder measure I use for pistol loading. For all my rifle loads I have a group of powder measures made from rifle cases with soldered wire and wood handles that dip about 1 gr. low. Powder trickle to 0. I even still use a Herter's powder funnel, guess I am just getting old.

In Feb. 1966 I bought a Lyman 505 made by Ohaus when I bought my RCBS Jr. 2 press. It has served me well over the years. I added a RCBS 1010 about 20 years ago and I now use it the most. One time my Lyman got a little out of whack and would hesitate at 2 lines low of 0 then jump. I checked the knife edges on the beam pivot and one had a little flat place on it. ( 2 sons and a wife/bitch in the house who messed with stuff while I was at work) A little fine stone work and it came back to itself. I have had a couple friends bring me scales that were jumpy. Check the contact V's and clean them and hone the knife edges a little and they ran true again.

I have a powder measure I use for pistol loading. For all my rifle loads I have a group of powder measures made from rifle cases with soldered wire and wood handles that dip about 1 gr. low. Powder trickle to 0. I even still use a Herter's powder funnel, guess I am just getting old.
Not old,just pragmatic!

Three 44s

I bought RCBS rangemaster 750 several years ago. I bought a set of check weights last fall and found out it was not accurate. No matter what I did I could not get it to read correctly. This will be the last digital scale I ever will buy.

I contacted Scott Parker and asked for his advice. His favorite scale is the Lyman M5. I asked him to put one together for me.

It has been just over two months since I first contacted him. I will be receiving my scale tomorrow in the mail! From what I have heard it is well worth the wait.

Just get yourself a Gempro 250 and be done with it.

I have had mone for over 2 years and everytime I put the check weight on it, it is dead nuts on.

desertbull,

I'm on my 2nd Gempro 250 and it has also failed. I used the first one to load about 250 rounds and put it away. 9 months later it wouldn't hold any weight or zero, it would just wander all over the place. I was lucky and it was covered under warranty. The replacement worked fine and I loaded a few hundred rounds with it, put it up for the winter and just last week, it failed just like the first one. I haven't contacted Gempro yet, but it is really frustrating. I've read reviews on other sites with many people having the same issue. Hopefully GemPro will still warranty this one.

When it works correctly, it is awesome. I was able to achieve really good results loading for my 300 RUM.

-Mike

desertbull,

I'm on my 2nd Gempro 250 and it has also failed. I used the first one to load about 250 rounds and put it away. 9 months later it wouldn't hold any weight or zero, it would just wander all over the place. I was lucky and it was covered under warranty. The replacement worked fine and I loaded a few hundred rounds with it, put it up for the winter and just last week, it failed just like the first one. I haven't contacted Gempro yet, but it is really frustrating. I've read reviews on other sites with many people having the same issue. Hopefully GemPro will still warranty this one.

When it works correctly, it is awesome. I was able to achieve really good results loading for my 300 RUM.

-Mike

If you don't reload.any more.often than that then stick with your.beam. beam scale is good for decades as long as you take.care of.it. i know i have.one that is over 40 years old and it works just fine. Gravity is pretty dependable

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.