Beam scales?

Goobie270

I've been using the cheap lee scale, but I've been thinking about buying a 1991 rcbs 1010 scale because I hear that they weigh to the kernel and are more accurate. Are these scales any more accurate that the lee scale?

I have no complaints with mine and yes with bigger kernel powders like H50BMG and standard H4831 it will move the beam with one kernel. The 5-0-5 will also measure to the kernel, but the 10-10 is better.

Reuben

Send it.to this guy for tuning. Think he charges $40. But don't be in a hurry to get it back.

Scott Parker « Daily Bulletin

I think the price went up a little. The article says "Under $85.00", but that includes shipping back to you. Definitely cheaper than buying a new scale, and the 1010 is an excellent scale. I have an original Ohaus 1010 which is the same thing. Bought it in the late 70's, and it still works perfectly.

I think the price went up a little. The article says "Under $85.00", but that includes shipping back to you. Definitely cheaper than buying a new scale, and the 1010 is an excellent scale. I have an original Ohaus 1010 which is the same thing. Bought it in the late 70's, and it still works perfectly.

Yep

I have an old Ohaus 10/10 that i had Scott tune. Works great.

Of course i only use it with my field loading kit.

I have 2 gempro's and a chargemaster that are my main charging system.

In my experience the Lee scale is a joke. I like and use a lot of Lee products but their scale is a joke compared to any RCBS scale. I have a 505 that is 37 years old and weighs just as accurate as some of my friends high dollar scales. I also have a 10-10 that I picked up at a gun show because it was cheep but end up using the 505 most of the time.

Honestly i have gotten lazy in my old.age.

I use a.chargemaster and.check each charge.with a.gempro. not as fast as dropping charges with a powder measure and trickling on a gempro but requires much less concentration

The 10-10 is the most accurate scale I have and used for everything but masses of .223 which is done on the ChargeMaster.

505, 510, 1010 and a 304 to boot

Yes, I am scale poor that's for sure!

I bought my 505 when I was just 19 years old back in 1975 and starting out in handloading.

What I do not like about them is the tendency of the "tenth's" adjuster to jump to another setting if you are too rambuncious upon removing the scale pan.

I bought the 510 a couple of years ago off the net.

The 1010 came to me when a friend and I bought out an estate.

The 304 came by way of Craig's list and I also have a gram triple beam Ohaus that I bought cheap for weighing cattle meds or whatever ........ the 304 sure did not come cheap I tell ya!

I do like having the powder pan at a normal height and the pointer high enough I don't have to stand on my head to see it.

Three 44s

I've compared my cheapo Lee scale to my Chargemaster 1500 readings and it's been quite consistent. Not that I use the Lee anymore, but I was pleasantly surprised on the precision and accuracy of it.

Tell me I am an old-timer, but I still use a RCBS 5-10 Beam Scale until today. Could not find the trust in these electronic scales yet. The margin for error on a beam scale is zero if setup has been properly done. With electronic scales there is too many other external influences - florescent light, cell phones etc.

...With electronic scales there is too many other external influences - florescent light, cell phones...

Could you expand on that? Just curious as to the rationale. I do go through the calibration (0g, 50g, 100g) every time with the CM1500. I have heard of the coiled power cord being an issue, but the two wires are so close to each other I'd be a bit skeptical of even that (for catching EMI from nearby sources).

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.