Is the .338 Hornady 185gr GMX just as good as the Barnes 185gr TTSX on ELK?

T3-OleMan

The GMX has been out a few years and I'm hoping some people have reports on how good they are at DRT through the shoulder shots cause I sure don't need to be having to track one down.gun)
Even if you just heard about any GMX shot please pass it on.

Old Nellie loves the Factory Superformance 185 GMX. I have a life time supply of all the 338 MRXs, TTSXs and the GMX185 but since I'm 72 now I can't afford to waste one of the last 2 or 3 shots I might get before I run out of TIME or MONEY. :)

My hunting partner has a 300 RCM custom, and he shoots factory Hornady ammo. He took a very nice 6x7 elk at 260+ yards with one shot of his GMX ammo and it worked extremely well. It made about 5 steps before falling over.

I've also seen him take deer with it at 305 yards, shot lengthwise and DRT where it lay.

Thanks Dr.

lightbulbSince there seems to be few GMX ELK shooters let me REVISE the Title:

Is the GMX round as good as the TTSX on ELK - any Cal.?gun)

Hope this brings in a few more replys.

The GMX is gilded metal, the ttsx is copper. Not a lot of difference. Gilded metal is not quite as soft as the copper. Fouls bores less and all things being equal doesn't expand quite as fast on impact. Its a lot more important to hit that elk in the boiler room. Do that and he's yours everytime. If your gun shoots the GMX good then I certainly wouldn't shy away from using them on elk.... they are certainly a tough enough bullet.

Thanks Mag,

That "Fouls bores less" is right after ACCURACY on my chart.

The "doesn't expand quite as fast on impact" is the part that I am worried about. That is main reason I would put it in both shoulders if I had the angle. A double lung that missed both side ribs would be an OOOOPs. lightbulb I'm thinking if it pencils on me (like in a 40 yd shot)I best be doing a lung & shoulder or both shoulders...i.e. just looking for bones.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.