Berger 185gr vld vs. bthp

J3RICHO941

Hey Fellas,

I am thinking of switching up bullets again for my .308 and am looking hard at the berger 185gr bullets. The 185gr vld seems to be a "go to" bullet for hunting, and has good accuracy. The 185gr. bthp seems to have a .011 higher BC, which makes me think it would do better at longer ranges.

I know the BTHP is specifically made for accuracy and not hunting, but can they be used like many use the SMK's?

Do you think the .011 BC will make a difference?

Also, how do these two compare to 190 vld's?

My rifle is:
Factory 1-12 twist, 26" .308win

Thanks,

Jericho

Jericho,

The VLD is the right bullet for hunting. The BTHP has a thicker jacket that is not intended to produce reliable expansion.

Think of it this way: the VLD will expand/fragment reliably down to impact speeds of 1800 fps. The BTHP may not expand/fragment reliably below 2500 fps (just a guess, it was never tested for this application). The .011 extra BC of the BTHP may allow it to strike a little faster at long range assuming similar MV, but you can't count on it to expand like the VLD at impact velocities down to 1800 fps.

Both bullets are made with the same standards and capable of the same precision. However the VLD is more sensitive to seating depth so it may take you a little longer to optimize your load for it.

For target shooting, the 185 BTHP is a terrific bullet (it's what I personally use in my .308 Palma rifle:
Juggernaut
However I always recommend the right tool for the job, and if your job is hunting, then the VLD is the correct choice.

Good luck,
-Bryan

Thank you for your reply Bryan.

I am looking for a one bullet good for both applications. Does such a bullet exist?

I am also considering the 190gr vld's. How would these work with my current setup?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.