185gr Hybrid or Juggernaut terminal performance?

7mmShooter

Hey guys, seeing the various good performance posts on the 180, 215, and 230 hybrids and the 338 300gr OTM I am curious if anyone has data on the 185s? I'm thinking the 185 Hybrids would perform similarly well, but wanted to get some more well versed opinions from all of you. I'm considering bullet choices for a Stevens 24" 300 Win that I'll be picking up soon if that makes any difference

Thanks in advance for any and all input, hope everyone is having a great weekend!

Anyone have experiences with them, good, bad, or otherwise? I know the 215s are a well proven option but I'm not sure if I want to go that heavy yet. Thanks again

Sorry, I have no information for you on the 185 but I do have an opinion.....IMO go with the 215 PERIOD. Why try something else? With the data that Broz gave us why reinvent the wheel? Heck I shoot the 215 bullet in my 308!

So it isn't quite as flat shooting as a 185. With today's rangefinders and several ways to compensate for drop, flat trajectory is no longer an issue. Why detract from excellent BC for minimal wind drift and high retained energy.

In his very lengthy thread Broz mentions terminal velocity and shows the pictures of the performance in the game.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/comparing-berger-210-vld-215-hybrid-88657/

This bullet works well even at slower velocities. example from above link:

"at 636 yards, with an impact velocity of 2341 and 2616 ft lbs of energy the expansion is more than I desire in a perfect world. I will not degrade the bullet as it killed the elk like lightning."

Every friend I know who asks what should he shoot in his 30 cal except for the 300 RUMs gets the same answer, the 215 berger hybrid.

Sorry, I have no information for you on the 185 but I do have an opinion.....IMO go with the 215 PERIOD. Why try something else? With the data that Broz gave us why reinvent the wheel? Heck I shoot the 215 bullet in my 308!

So it isn't quite as flat shooting as a 185. With today's rangefinders and several ways to compensate for drop, flat trajectory is no longer an issue. Why detract from excellent BC for minimal wind drift and high retained energy.

In his very lengthy thread Broz mentions terminal velocity and shows the pictures of the performance in the game.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/comparing-berger-210-vld-215-hybrid-88657/

This bullet works well even at slower velocities. example from above link:

"at 636 yards, with an impact velocity of 2341 and 2616 ft lbs of energy the expansion is more than I desire in a perfect world. I will not degrade the bullet as it killed the elk like lightning."

Every friend I know who asks what should he shoot in his 30 cal except for the 300 RUMs gets the same answer, the 215 berger hybrid.

I appreciate the honesty AZ, and ultimately I believe I will just end up running the 215s. Just was looking for a little more stability in the colder temps, but it shouldn't make much of a discernible difference. Thank you for your help

Judging terminal performance is somewhat dependent on what you wish to terminate.

No experience with the 185's, the reason being is over the years I've not seen the kind of penetration I like if bigger game, big bones, or poor angles are involved. In 30 caliber I think good bullets start at 200, and go up for the most part.

If I was going to shoot 180 grain bullets I'd go with 7mm's for a little better sectional density.

Judging terminal performance is somewhat dependent on what you wish to terminate.

No experience with the 185's, the reason being is over the years I've not seen the kind of penetration I like if bigger game, big bones, or poor angles are involved. In 30 caliber I think good bullets start at 200, and go up for the most part.

If I was going to shoot 180 grain bullets I'd go with 7mm's for a little better sectional density.

Very true HARPERC, I'll probably end up switching to the 180s in my 7mm as well. Deer will be the main quarry, but I'd love to have a good bullet for Elk (given the possibility) as well... Which it seems the 180 and 215 Hybrids are exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks for the help

The youngster I had out for deer this weekend was armed with a .260, 130 grain Berger AR Hybrid. So I certainly believe the 185's will work. Just preferences for specific parameters.

Nice, any luck?

Close. We found a small doe at just dark. She was facing straight away, he waited for her to turn, and that didn't happen until dark 30. He elected not to shoot, and sometimes the best luck of the day is making good choices. Second such shot he's opted not to take this season.

In terms of luck this is our wettest October on record. Rain 21 of 31 days. The heaviest has seemed to occur on my days off. I applaud the folks here and in North Idaho that have stuck it out.

We did have a bull moose come within 20-30 feet (too close), so he's got that story to tell.

We have some season left though.

Close. We found a small doe at just dark. She was facing straight away, he waited for her to turn, and that didn't happen until dark 30. He elected not to shoot, and sometimes the best luck of the day is making good choices. Second such shot he's opted not to take this season.

In terms of luck this is our wettest October on record. Rain 21 of 31 days. The heaviest has seemed to occur on my days off. I applaud the folks here and in North Idaho that have stuck it out.

We did have a bull moose come within 20-30 feet (too close), so he's got that story to tell.

We have some season left though.

Wow. Yeah, he's got a nice story to tell and a good choice made. That's kinda crazy for that much rain

To expand reliably on game, match bullets usually require a plastic tip (AMAX) or open tip large enough to insert the lead of a mechanical pencil or small drill bit into. The 185 Jugg tip is closed up tight, so I would bet against good terminal performance unless you hit bone or just get lucky.

Yes for expansion success you need to trim the meplat and open it up some. A 115 DTAC out of a 6mm variant will wreak a Deer.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.