215 Hybrid Short Range Terminal Performance

The 79 gr. load is just short, but I can reach almost 3100' with a max load of Retumbo. H1000 will make just over 3000'......Rich

Darn Rich, With close to a .7 BC , over 3K and that accuracy that will be a real hammer in a 30 cal. NICE!! I hope to get to just under 3 k with my 300 win. and the 215's. I get 2995 with the 210's

Jeff

Darn Rich, With close to a .7 BC , over 3K and that accuracy that will be a real hammer in a 30 cal. NICE!! I hope to get to just under 3 k with my 300 win. and the 215's. I get 2995 with the 210's

Jeff

Ya, I'm expecting some pretty good things to happen if the elk shows up:D
I'm going to start testing my SXR's later on this month. They have a little higher B.C. and will expand down to 1300'. That Hybrid accuracy is going to be tough to beat, but I have had some very good results in the past with the SXR's so we will see how this rifle likes them.....Rich
p.s. I got almost 3000' out of the 230 hybrids.....2980', I think it was?

Jeff

Jeff, I would almost bet money that you will match your 210VLD velocity quite possibly even surpass it with the same pressure levels. The 215 has a much shorter bearing surface due to it's longer boat tail and seems easier to get velocity out of it. Good luck!

Did some short range (100 yard) terminal ballistics testing this evening with the 215 Berger Hybrids. My goal was to try and simulate what the bullet would encounter striking the shoulder bone of an elk. Everybody knows Bergers aren't any good at close range right?:rolleyes: For the test I used a large piece of good solid fir wood (4 inches thick) with three milk jugs full of water placed behind it back to back to back. Distance 100 Yards. Bullet is leaving my 300 RUM at 3,140fps. As you'll see in the photos the bullet cleanly penetrated through the wood leaving an exit hole slightly larger than a quarter. The first milk jug was obliterated and in two pieces, second jug was also destroyed and a piece of jacket made it cleanly through the third jug. If we don't count the third jug total penetration was 16". Questionable penetration at close range after hitting bone? Don't think so! I always tuck in behind the shoulder but I wanted to know what to expect if a shoulder shot at close range was all that was available.
View attachment 10986
Below is the exit hole in wood block just to the right of the quarter
View attachment 10987

Tumbleweed.....Please don't take this as a knock on your test or particularly on Berger bullets but there is something I have found in my testing that might make a difference here. First of all, wood, when struck by almost any bullet will hold it together as long as the bullet is confined by the wood. The strength of the wood apparently directs the forces more forward, i.e. the wood will not allow the bullet to come apart. My point being, the elks shoulder bone is not the first thing that the bullet encounters but rather a bunch of meat which allows the bullet to "blow outward" more rapidly. If you were to fire a Berger, or any other expanding bullet, into solid wood thick enough to capture the bullet, you would find the bullet intact. If you fire a Berger into water at that velocity, you will find nothing but "Fairy dust"! Try doing the same test with the bullet traveling 4-5" through soft material (meat, water, etc) then thru your wood (or bone) and then into the water jugs and see if the results are the same? Again, I'm not saying you won't have good results with the Berger, but I'm saying your results may be significantly different. Keep on testing! That's how we learn........Rich

Tumbleweed.....here is an afterthought. Try putting a milk jug in front of the 4x4 to simulate the soft tissue and then the bone and then add a couple of jugs behind the wood and see what happens? I have not tried this exact test, but I may try it if I get a chance in the near future........rich

Tumbleweed.....here is an afterthought. Try putting a milk jug in front of the 4x4 to simulate the soft tissue and then the bone and then add a couple of jugs behind the wood and see what happens? I have not tried this exact test, but I may try it if I get a chance in the near future........rich

Thanks Rich. I actually thought about this after doing the test. The meat before the bone. If I get a chance, I may take an old antifreeze jug that's around 4" thick in front of some wood more consistent with the thickness of elk bone (3" hardwood) with jugs behind it and see what we get.

Thanks Rich. I actually thought about this after doing the test. The meat before the bone. If I get a chance, I may take an old antifreeze jug that's around 4" thick in front of some wood more consistent with the thickness of elk bone (3" hardwood) with jugs behind it and see what we get.

Post it and let us know. Bullet testing is fun and revealing!
Trebark...I know a guy that did test out a porker (huh Roy):D

Post it and let us know. Bullet testing is fun and revealing!
Trebark...I know a guy that did test out a porker (huh Roy):D

Roy's tests on the pig were just what I was thinking of. Didn't have the time then nor now to do a search to include a link to that thread. As I recall, it includes video!

Ok, here's the updated short range test with the 215 Hybrids. Distance is 100 yards, muzzle velocity is 3185 fps, impact velocity is 3053 fps and impact energy is 4449ft.lbs. In this test I placed a 4.5" jug of water in front of a 2.5" thick piece of dense hard wood. Behind the wood was 2 more jugs full of water.
Below is the set up. Bullet enters at left.
0825120947.jpg
Exit side of first jug.
0825121205.jpg
Exit side of wood block. Bullet cracked block entirely length wise. Exit hole was about 1.5" in a vertical pattern.
0825121207.jpg
This is the entrance side of jug behind block. Bullet was entirely stopped in this jug making it to the the very back side leaving a heavy mark in the plastic of the jug. Third jug was safe.
0825121209.jpg
Below is what I poured out from the second jug directly behind the block. I weighed all pieces and they came to 82.9 grains. The biggest piece of jacket still had a large portion of somewhat mushroomed lead with it and had good penetrating mass.
0825120959.jpg
In this test penetration was obvioustly not as good due to the jug on the front side which simulates hide and muscle before hitting bone. I think this is a realistic test and still would not be afraid to take a shoulder shot on elk at very close range if this is all that was available. I believe the penetration would have destroyed the on side lung. Total penetration to complete bullet stoppage was 11.5". First jug measured 4.5", block measured 2.5" and third jug also measured 4.5". This test would most simulate hitting dead center on shoulder bone or ball joint. I high shoulder shot through the plate would produce all together different results.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.