Berger 300 Hybrid - 2nd Shot -Terminal Performance Test.

royinidaho

Well I followed the promptings of Topshot plus adjusted media density up to 90%

I talked the butcher out of a beef shoulder blade. I'm now on standing order for all of his shoulder blades.:D

My wife asked what it was for. I told her I was going to cook it for lunch. She just wondered off mumbling something about me always doing strange things. No kiddin'....

Set the media fixture on a new holder as the saw horse was being used for the kitchen counter top upgrade project.

Ready to shoot through the shoulder blade.
MediaBladeSetup.jpg

I placed the black dot where I figured I either hit the blade or if to the left a bit I'd hit the thicker ridge. Either spot would be good, I figured.

I couldn't see the dot from 300 yds due to the sun's position so I attempted to hold in the same place as I did for the first shot.

I knew I wouldn't spot the shot through the scope which cause me, in my youthful excitement, to doing a very bad job of breaking the trigger, then lifting my head like a prairie dog just in time to see the whole setup hit the ground.

The bullet hit was one of the loudest woooommmppps I've ever heard. Even through the ear muffs.

To say that there was damage to the fixture is an understatement. When I got to the back stop, I was shocked at what I found!!!

Holey Crap an explosion was set off inside the thing.

Besides being on the ground the front was blown out! Some how the plywood flange that holds the plastic front end was torn apart. WOW!!!!
Result1.jpg

When I opened the lid I was shocked again!!

The 1 5/8" thick cement step that was added (Topshot's idea) was just as you see it. Holy Crap!! What went on in there? When preping this pic for posting I was shocked one more time! I saw the crack in the fixture at the front of the lid. I hadn't noticed it while retrieving bullet fragments.

I went back out in the dark to check it. Sure enough the darn thing was pulled apart. Darn, that's 5/8" heavy duty plastic pipe rated at 200 psi. That portion of the fixture is a bit over 3" wide and was pulled apart.

BrokenParts.jpg

You must have to hit bone to set off that stick of dynamite in those Bergers. I'm as impressed with this bullet as much or more than I was with those 25 cal 115s on the hog shoot.

Wait till you see the shoulder blade. But that's for posting tomorrow.:D

The largest piece of jacket penetrated 13.5" (center of the cinder step crack) after going through about 2" of the shoulder blade.

This gotta get on video. Way better than the weenies.

More tomorrow.

I'm tired and I want to go to bed.

My prayer tonight will go something like this. " Now I lay me down to sleep. I pray the Lord Berger Hybrids to keep". Like He wants to hear that kind of stuff. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I knew you had to shoot that shoulder blade tonight so I've been hitting "new posts" all evening waiting for it!!!:D

That's like a v-max for elk, holy cow man your rig is thrashed! All to a good cause though :D How long a fuse did you use to get that chambered and shot before it went of?

That's probably the most devestation I have ever seen from a single bullet... Can't wait to hear the first results of that thing vs elk.

Shoulder Blade Details

Bullet Entrance View
EntrancePic.jpg

Entrance Path
EntranceSide.jpg

Exit Side Damage
OffSideDamage.jpg

Exit
ExitNiftyPic.jpg

Exit W/Bone Fragment in Place
BoneFragInplace.jpg

I'll let the pics speak for themselves. I could ramble on forever about this shot.:rolleyes:

Geometry was lost extracting the first bullet fragment. I don't know "exactly" penetration of the large bone fragment was, but guestimate 6" .

When searching for bullet frags I kept coming across unknown particles and small pieces. I didn't catch on to what they were as they were dispersed throughout the media until I found the large piece of bone. Bone fragments!!

Bullet fragments, next post.

Great thread and thanks for the work.

edge.

Be careful it looks like it just missed your finger :)

Dang Roy! Thats impressive.
So are you gonna clean up your ''media holder'' and swap it out for Kitchen counter support to get your sawhorse back now? How long till you have a new media holder? These posts are too cool to wait too long for more.
Darn impatient kids............:D

I did a complete archeological type dig with the hand held metal detector.

The piece in the upper left is the piece that traveled 13.5" after clearing the bone.

The piece at center bottom I don't believe is from a Berger. Its a bit dull and may have been there since last year.

Also, I'm not confident that I got all of the pieces of the first shot removed.

Some of the lead may have been from previous shots.

I'm confident all metal has been removed.

Bullet Fragments
BulletFragsAngleShot.jpg

While rebuilding and upgrading the fixture I noticed the the other (big) end was cracked also. I wouldn't think that this fracture would have occurred as there was no media in the rear 6". When I initially opened the cover I noted that the media was evenly dispersed from front to rear.

Fractures occurred at square jagged corners. From now on its well rounded smooth corners.
CrackatotherEnd.jpg

For the Hybrids entering the media without any obstructions containment seems easy. However, in this instance, when bone is hit first this shot shows that most of the energy was expended within 13.5" after penetrating the bone.

Muzzle Velocity: 2700 FPS
Distance: 300 yds.

We'll see what tomorrow brings.:D

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.