is more speed worth the powder?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by sniperpro, Dec 20, 2011.

1. sniperpro

sniperpro New Member

Hi guys and gals! i am pretty new to this whole long range shooting thing. I have been doing quite nicely with a 243 out to 600yds but had a question. currently i am using 87gr HPBT hornady with 39.8g of h4350 i get around 2900fps with this load. it shoots pretty consistently under moa. but then i loaded up some "hotter" rounds at 42.5g of h4350 and that gives me about 3000fps it also seems to group a little better but not a huge difference. now my question is should i keep shooting my original load or should i switch to the hotter one the reason i ask is it really a worth the extra powder and shorter shell life for the 100fps gained? thanks!

2. AJ Peacock

AJ Peacock Well-Known Member

I'd do it, if it's grouping better. The faster one will have a little less wind drift, which is everything when Long Range is involved.

AJ

3. Buffalobob

Buffalobob Writers Guild

What you need to do is go down to Home Depot and get an axe handle and let your wife hit you upside the head with it about five times a day until you realize that you need a heavier bullet with a higher BC

4. NW Hunter

NW Hunter Well-Known Member

Too funny!:D

5. Korhil78

Korhil78 Well-Known Member

Well I sure hope he has a sense of humor since it is his first post on this forum. Welcome by the way. Since you asked, shoot whichever you want. It won't matter too much. But using a heavier bullet with a higher BC will help you with wind drift more than velocity will.

6. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

If you get better groups with it I'd say so. With such a light bullet you really aren't pushing it very hard and thus not creating any significant extra throat erosion.

Faster + More accurate always equals better in my book as long as in doing so I'm not loading it up so hot as to eat up barrels at an accelerated rate.

7. WildRose

Yep and he should be able to go up at least 10gr on bullet weight and still get the same velocity... .gun)

8. sniperpro

sniperpro New Member

hahahhaha yeah i totally would get a heavier bullet but i have a stinking 1 in 10 twist and it really doesn't like anything 95gr or higher. thanks for the responses like i said i am new to this so still trying to figure out all the little things.:D

9. COBrad

COBrad Well-Known Member

Hornady shows the BC of your bullet as .376. Berger's 87 gr. VLD is .412 and a 10 twist is suggested. If this bullet shoots well in your gun, it should give you the best ballistics you can get with this barrel.

10. WildRose

The 85gr interbond is .395.

87gr Vmax .400.

90gr Swift Scirocco II .419

Lots of good choices in his weight range.

11. cfvickers

cfvickers Well-Known Member

Yes. Further discussion is unwarranted.

12. Buffalobob

Buffalobob Writers Guild

You can lead the mule to the creek and tell it to drink, but it may decide not to. If it won't drink then it will get thirsty in the afternoon while plowing but that is just tough.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/1000yd-pdog-repeat-12180/

13. Bravo 4

Bravo 4 Well-Known Member

Come on Sniper, get with the program!
    Just kidding:D

+1 on all the above.

14. sniperpro

sniperpro New Member

hahhahahahaha wow glad there are a bunch of guys that like to laugh here. Yeah i am trying to get with it haha still working on that 500yds coyote kill hopefully will happen over Christmas break.