Is custom worth it?

guess I will throw in my comments.

As for accurizing a factory action. the answer is it depends on the action. Obviously some guys here have had very good luck with the Rem actions. I can also tell you that many that are not as good out of the box.

I am one who says it is not cost effective for you to spend the money on a fully accuracy job on a factory action. however, not all actions need it. Plus it depends on what level of accuracy you will accept.

The accuracy standard for a good LR hunting rifle is obviously a "little less' than a top competitive gun.

If the lugs have good contact, no need to lap.

If the recoil lug is true, no need to replace.

I just went through a 700 SPS in 300 WSM.

We tuned the trigger, lapped the lugs (they were way off on one side) and I fire lapped the barrel and restocked. It still would not shoot under 1 3/4 inches with at least two powders and 4 bullets. All I was wanting was 1" at 100.

When I rebarreled it, we faced the front of the rcvr and left the threads alone. The recoil lug was replaced as it was totally lopsided. The firing pin hole was centered, no need to bushing and I did not touch anymore of the bolt issues. Now it is .5-.75 with 3 loads and it is a lightweight hunting rifle that weights 9 lbs with scope and bipod.

Now you will see factory actions with firing pin holes off center that need to be bushed, rcvr faces not true and lugs way off.

Bottom line if a smith tells you that it is going to cost you $400 or more to clean up a factory action. Sell it and buy a custom for $700. Zero issues, you know it is straight and you will not lose money on resale.

Good bedding in a decent stock, trigger adjustment (no need for replacment on a Rem/Win for sure) on a hunting gun, check/lap lugs and check the crown. Shoot it and see IF it meets your accuracy standards.

One other thing, absolutely under no circumstances let anyone tell you that they can hand lap a factory barrel after it has been crowned and installed. Total BS. They will bell the mouth of the barrel at the front. NO barrel mftr that has people hand lapping all day can do that and not destroy the barrel and they are the best lappers in the world. Ask any of them. There is no local smith that might do a barrel once a month that has the expertise to be better at lapping than the guys at the mftrs who say that they cannot lap a barrel after it has been crowned. Got to cut off at least 3/4" of the lapped barrel after it is done.

BH

I agree on that action thing 100%, why buy a factory iffy and then spend that much money on it again.

I have 2 700's an LSS and a Sendero both guns will HUNT all day, I have no idea how far I could hit an 8" circle (deer vitals) with them. I guess way way way out there! But thats all thats required of them. At a 100 yards .50-.075" groups till the sun goes down.

I'll throw this at ya too, My first rifle Browning BAR (Bowning Automatic Rifle) 30-06 still has my longest kill 565 yd Mule deer! Ive had it 22 yrs now, Deer quiver and shake when it comes out of the house!

Are any of these ready to win a paper poke at the range! Probably not! Nor will I ask them to! Is my freezer full? absolutley packed....I even had to buy a bigger one this year!

Now Ill get into why Ive gone through all that.......As soon as I remember Ill come back and post it!!

So far Ive defended factory rifles pretty good but seems a lil odd that I also have Kirby building me a 100% custom as I type this.

I think I eliminated the NEED word.

But not WANT! tOO MANY DISSTRACTIONS TODAY FOR THIS SORRY!

I just don't buy it that factory actions are iffy. Out of the last 20 Remingtons I've bought I haven't even had one that wouldn't shoot well under an inch.

They had a quality control problem in the late 90's but seem to have fixed it and the only people that seem to dis' their rifles now are those that spent a lot of money on a custom rifle.

Don't get me wrong. If I were going to compete I'd go custom from the ground up without a doubt but for any other use factory rifles with a few slight upgrades are way better than I need at this point and I'm pretty dang picky.

$bob$

That was meant as dont buy a iffy used gun or factory action and then spend more $$$ on it. Because after youve done that you could have easily bought a new custom action for the same $$$ to begin with. And lets say you like a gun you already have you also get to hang on to it rather than use it for parts.

By the way where are you in the NW FL PINEY WOODS? I grew up in Crestview.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.