Is Moly and 4 letter word ??

Marine sniper

I spent the last hour doing a search on moly in this site and came up with a LOT of opinions.

I have been out of the game for a few years and back in the mid to late 90's it was the rage, now it seems like it has lost a lot of appeal.

I am currently working on my custom .300 WBY, 25.5 in 5/5 Pac-nor, turn neck chamber, .925 muzzle. I built the rifle to with the idea of it being competent long range hunting rifle out to at least 1200 yards. With moly in mind I am not looking for ease in cleaning, or lower pressure, extra velocity would be nice though. In short I am looking for maximum accuracy and repeatable cold bore shots.

I just bought 500 moly coated 190 VLD's......don't mind taking the moly off if I have to.

John

I have been thinking the same thing...I had originally expected to see that it would be widely used, but I have yet to see anyone mention using moly.

I have one rifle that I shoot combined techonology (sp?) in, but I can't say I really see any difference.

I am eger to see what the site guru's have to say. I have been thinking about using moly in my 7mm RUM....can't wait to see if it's worth it.

Thanks for starting the thread!

I used moly for a long time until I started getting really serious about the rifle game. I've de-moly'd a lot of bullets since then. I can personally vouch for the fact that moly-coating your bullets does NOT reduce fouling, it just hides it since the moly tends to sandwich with the copper and prevent your solvents from getting out the copper that is under moly. I've heard that burnishing your barrel with moly can give some benefits, but I don't have the knowledge on how to do so, and am not really inclined since you'd have to do it after every cleaning.

As for velocity, in my experience moly coated bullets tended to be slightly slower than bare ones. I assume that the reduction in friction would also reduce peak pressures and thus velocity, though to be honest it was pretty insignificant (less than 50fps).

I have been out of the game for a few years and back in the mid to late 90's it was the rage, now it seems like it has lost a lot of appeal.
I just bought 500 moly coated 190 VLD's......don't mind taking the moly off if I have to.
John

John, I think many shooters have concluded that Moly is just not worth the bother, one way or another...so I wouldn't bother taking the Moly off those VLDs.

FWIW, Walt Berger must think Moly is worthwhile, because he offers it as an option on many of his bullets.

I use moly coated 7mm 162g A Max projectiles in my 280 Rem, and have had very good results with cold bore shots.
I have shot moly coated bullets in my 6.5-06 and 22.250 as well, and found that the major advantage was an increase in time between cleaning, and a very slightly higher velocity, although this requires extra powder over non coated.
As a rule, I only shoot moly bullets in high round count barrels, and only shoot moly in those barrels- I don't mix coated and non coated.

Last edited:
I have shot many 1,000s of moly bullet in competion for highpower rifle. I do not shoot any for hunting. Just do not see the need for it. I would not remove it though if I already had the bullets coated. Just find an accurate load and shoot it. It will no hurt anything. but won't help either.

I would just shoot them how they are

I use moly coated bullets in my hand loaded 22 mag rounds for their chamber pressure lowering characteristics. (don't know how much it drops but I figure it doesn't hurt). My cold bore shots have improved significantly from the factory ammo. I don't know if it can be attributed to the moly or the fact that now I am weight sorting brass and paying closer attention to charge than the factory does. I tend to believe the latter plays the bigger role.

I wouldn't bother taking it off the bullets. I am curious to read further responses in relationship to cold bore shots.

Marine

Lilja barrels has a good comment on moly on there FAQ section
of there web site.

Before I started lapping rough barrels I used it to minimize
barrel fowling by seasoning the barrel and shooting plain
bullets .

But it is not necessary to remove the moly coating ,just clean
often to prevent the biuld up of moly.

I hope this helps
J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.