CLR and Chrome Moly Barrels

MW204

Two-part question.

For those of you that use CLR to clean the carbon out of your stainless steel barrels have you ever seen white spots in them?

For those of you that have used CLR have you seen white spots in your chrome-moly barrels like in the pic below? I've used CLR in 3 CM barrels and in 2 of them I cannot get the white spots out of the barrels. If you've had them appear in your barrel and were able to get rid of them what did you use to remove them?

Attachments

• CLR n Spots.jpg
    CLR n Spots.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 314
Two-part question.

For those of you that use CLR to clean the carbon out of your stainless steel barrels have you ever seen white spots in them?

For those of you that have used CLR have you seen white spots in your chrome-moly barrels like in the pic below? I've used CLR in 3 CM barrels and in 2 of them I cannot get the white spots out of the barrels. If you've had them appear in your barrel and were able to get rid of them what did you use to remove them?
I saw multiple posts from various forums using CLR many years ago, but I cannot make myself do it, as I have not experienced a bad enough barrel to resort to it. What have you done to clean it thus far, so others do not provide you with what you have already tried? Have you tried scrubbing with bronze brass?

I personally quit using and don't recommend using CLR after seeing etching on several bolts and actions after haphazardly getting it where it doesn't belong.

You really need to make sure you flush your barrel really well with alcohol after using CLR.
Good luck getting those spots out and keeping them from coming back. Keep us posted please.

I saw multiple posts from various forums using CLR many years ago, but I cannot make myself do it, as I have not experienced a bad enough barrel to resort to it. What have you done to clean it thus far, so others do not provide you with what you have already tried? Have you tried scrubbing with bronze brass?
Yes, sir, I have tried a bronze & nylon brush.
I've tried alcohol, vinegar, Free All, Hoppe's, sorry there's another 2 part bore cleaner recommended that I cannot think of at the moment, and JB compound with Kroil Oil, nothing has removed the spots.
Early on I noticed when I used more CLR that the spots would disappear but as soon as I used any other cleaner they'd come back. The rifles belong to my son-in-law, and both had a lot of carbon buildup. I haven't used any CLR on either rifle in a few weeks.
I used the CLR on a new barrel that on my 4th shot (I was cleaning in between each shot breaking in the barrel) the carbon would not come out of it and it was suggested that I use the CLR, which I did and that finally broke down the carbon and got it out. The barrel was bright and shiny nothing like the pic above so that's why I suggested that we use it in his barrels. The 300 WSM is clean and shoots great, it doesn't seem to affect how it shoots but it still has the spots. I just don't like the spots in the barrel, the 308, which is close to 15 years old I'm still getting carbon out of it using Free All and a bore brush letting it soak, but the spots are still there.
But I'm still interested in knowing from guys that use it on their SS barrels if they see any spots after they use it.

Last edited:
I personally quit using and don't recommend using CLR after seeing etching on several bolts and actions after haphazardly getting it where it doesn't belong.

You really need to make sure you flush your barrel really well with alcohol after using CLR.
Good luck getting those spots out and keeping them from coming back. Keep us posted please.
I was warned about the etching and about it removing the bluing. I use a bore guide, I tipped the barrel down-stock up, and haven't had any issues in the receiver. I took grease and wiped it on the muzzle end about 6" down the barrel from the muzzle to keep it off the bluing and that seems to work, but it did remove the bluing on the crown.

I was warned about the etching and about it removing the bluing. I use a bore guide, I tipped the barrel down-stock up, and haven't had any issues in the receiver. I took grease and wiped it on the muzzle end about 6" down the barrel from the muzzle to keep it off the bluing and that seems to work, but it did remove the bluing on the crown.

For me the cons out weigh the pro's...I take all the same precautions as you. 👍

Bad things happen with really aggressive cleaners. I agree with above you should never let your barrel get to the point of needing things like CLR, its why I never go past 50 rounds on my LR stuff.

Bad things happen with really aggressive cleaners. I agree with above you should never let your barrel get to the point of needing things like CLR, its why I never go past 50 rounds on my LR stuff.
What got me to use it in the first place was like I said above, while breaking in a new chrome moly barrel I was cleaning it in between shots and building up to a true 300 WM load. On the 4th shot I had a true WM load, shot it, no overpressure signs, and took it in to clean it to get ready for round #5, and I couldn't the carbon out. I was loading H1000 powder btw. After 2 days of using everything I had trying to get the carbon out I used the CLR and after 2 applications of it the carbon broke down and then I could finish cleaning with normal cleaners to remove the rest of it. When I got the carbon out the new barrel was full of circular rings from the chamber to the muzzle and I have to assume those micro rings were full of carbon is why I couldn't get the carbon out of it. The barrel company sent me a new barrel, only I changed it to a SS barrel.