IOR 3-18 x 42 Scope

I think you could option a USO 3.2-17 a bit below that, but with all the bells and wistles I'd want it'd be right there or more. [...]

With the options I want it is even a little over $3000 ;) And Yes - I'm pretty picky :D !!! And a used scope is not an option, becouse there will be problems with credit card payment, I think.

A big shame with the FFP IORs. I was very happy that I have an oportunity to buy good glass European optic for half a price with all the options for long range matches. Now it seems I'll buy american for full price plus S&H. If I find a polish "briefcase-importer" and pay his fee, that is! That sucks very much!

Jon A - look closely at Your scope once more - perhaps it has fixed itself overnight, as my old PC had several times :rolleyes:

Well you should be happy with the glass in that S&B. Could you let me know how it compares with the 3-18X IOR glass? I've never had a chance to compare them side by side and always wondered how much improvement another $1500 would buy. Thanks.
Yeah, it will be interesting to compare the glass when my replacement gets here. Though, I really don't expect a $1500 improvement in glass quality. I don't think IOR glass leaves that much room for improvement. It's the not breaking part I expect for the money.
Jon A - look closely at Your scope once more - perhaps it has fixed itself overnight, as my old PC had several times :rolleyes:
Well, I've looked for a "reset button" but had no luck. :( Actually I don't think we want to go there....

[QUOTE Jon A] Though, I really don't expect a $1500 improvement in glass quality. It's the not breaking part I expect for the money.
QUOTE]

No ****! That's got to be a major understatement. You've been drug to hell and back with three different IORs. :eek: If anyone deserves to be completely content with a scope, I'd say it's you. So I hope this S&B turns out to be the cat's meow, or better! :D

I've looked through S&Bs at Shot Show but that was inside a building. I'd need to have them side by side with an IOR, and outdoors, to really compare the two. When it comes to glass, you've picked the top of the line with S&B, based on everything I've researched and read. So I bet it's gonna be a kick butt scope!

It'll look something like this:

PMII.jpg

3-12X50, GenII, illuminated, MTC knobs--the exact USMC scope without USMC engraved on it. The 4-16 power range might have been a better fit for me but I didn't see any for sale at the time and it's quite a bit bigger and doesn't have as much travel. This was a decent deal, included Seekins rings, etc, and was available immediately--pretty hard deal to pass up when you want a scope ASAP.

I figure I can give it a good workout this summer and if I decide to go a different route I should have no problem moving it for pretty much what I paid for it in the first place.

Last edited:
Jon A,

Let me know how that S&B turns out because one of my 3-18x x42 IOR SFP scopes is crapping out on me. The parallax adjustment and focus is lost under the recoil of a shot fired. It can be tuned back in again but the focus is changed from shot to shot. And when I turn the power ring from 18x to 3x and then back to 18x, the parallax adjustment and focus is sometimes lost also. I had been suspecting I was developing a scope problem because my groups with a proven bullet were opening up and today while trying out some new bullets/loads I learned my parallax/focus adjustment is going tit$ up. This scope didn't used to do that and the other one I have doesn't do this. I recently mounted this scope on a braked 300 WM. Maybe it didn't like the brake...

So, IOR's do have good glass but if the glass doesn't stay put it doesn't do me much good. Look's like I'll be talking to Val in Colorado and I'll be without a scope for a while.

I've got a Zeiss conquest that's got awfully good glass for the money but I haven't seen any tactical reticle availability from Zeiss. Just the standard mil-dot is the best I've seen in their selection. Hmmmm... What to do...

Dang Jon that freaking sucks! I was going to send my second one back as well, a large piece of debris formed on the internal ocular lens, but if they didn't hold some back like we were told I don't see the reason. If I sent it to Val and didn't get one back I would be one PO'ed MO-FO, mad enough to take a trip! What was their solution to your problem? So much for the lifetime warranty...

Jon A,

Let me know how that S&B turns out because one of my 3-18x x42 IOR SFP scopes is crapping out on me. The parallax adjustment and focus is lost under the recoil of a shot fired. It can be tuned back in again but the focus is changed from shot to shot. And when I turn the power ring from 18x to 3x and then back to 18x, the parallax adjustment and focus is sometimes lost also. I had been suspecting I was developing a scope problem because my groups with a proven bullet were opening up and today while trying out some new bullets/loads I learned my parallax/focus adjustment is going tit$ up. This scope didn't used to do that and the other one I have doesn't do this. I recently mounted this scope on a braked 300 WM. Maybe it didn't like the brake...

So, IOR's do have good glass but if the glass doesn't stay put it doesn't do me much good. Look's like I'll be talking to Val in Colorado and I'll be without a scope for a while.

I've got a Zeiss conquest that's got awfully good glass for the money but I haven't seen any tactical reticle availability from Zeiss. Just the standard mil-dot is the best I've seen in their selection. Hmmmm... What to do...

The 3-18 SFP are in stock, so you should be taken care of immediately.

Jon, I still need to call you, sorry I got home very late that night when you called.

Scott

Scott,
If the new 3-18FFP scopes are the same as the SH edition except for a small change in reticle, could we send one in (if it had a problem) and just swap it out? Or would we have to wait till next year when they decide to make another SH run...if they even do?

Scott,
If the new 3-18FFP scopes are the same as the SH edition except for a small change in reticle, could we send one in (if it had a problem) and just swap it out? Or would we have to wait till next year when they decide to make another SH run...if they even do?

I'm not sure what you are asking here. I'm not aware of any changes in the reticle for the 3-18 FFP. It will be the same model and they've been ordered since March.

Scott,
The difference between the SH FFP 3-18 and the new non-SH FFP 3-18 seems to be the small change in the SH's reticle (the A-5 reticle). Since the SH models were all sold, contrary to what we were told when they were ordered, could someone send in a scope that has a defect and just receive one of the new non-SH scopes? Am I incorrect in my assumption that the scopes are the same except for the minor reticle change?

The only FFP 3-18 ever made by IOR is the SH version. You might be referring to the SFP illuminated version. I hear you about not having the extra scopes in stock for warranty claims.

If you want to swap out for the SFP version let me know and I'll help make it happen.

Scott

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.