IOR 3-18 x 42 Scope

This scope is from the new Gen 4 variety right?

So if this one holds up, and then your March shows up.....What are you going to do with this one?

must really like the features, third times a charm, what is your carry scope?

Jon is the one trying out the newer generation IOR. I gave up after the 2nd 3-18x42mm came apart. I've settled on Sightron III 6-24x50mm scopes for the time being on my packing rifles. They weigh about 22 oz and get the job done for me. I think Jon said this newer 3.5-18x50mm IOR weighs 38 oz!

Last edited:
I have an IOR 4-14X50 30mm on my .308
It replaced a Swarovski, the IOR is easily as good optically as the Swaro night or day, the only gripe I have is, its very heavy and I would like to be able lock the turrets for normal close 200yds) stalking.
Incidentally, our main agent over here (Border Barrels) are all F Class shooters, they changed from Nightforce to IOR last year!

It'll probably survive just fine mounted on a .308 Winchester. I think most IORs will even survive on a 338 Edge or Lapua, provided the barrel doesn't have a muzzle brake. I experienced no problems with the 3-18x42mm on my 300 Win Mag - until after I installed a Holland muzzle brake on the barrel. The quality of the glass was great and the turret adjustments were accurate, so if the scopes don't come apart internally, they're really quite nice. I finally decided I was done packing around the extra weight on top of my carry rifles. Many people don't mind 30 to 38 oz scopes. My carry rifles weigh ~8 1/2 to 10 1/2 pounds - minus the scopes. As for me, reducing the scope weight by 1/2 lb or more makes packing my rifles much more tolerable, and my hunts more enjoyable. And to put this in context, virtually all of my hunting is backpack hunting in mountainous terrain, without the use of horses or all-terrain vehicles.

Jon A - any updates? This scope is really tempting me and I'd love to know how that Gen4 is holding up for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.