IOR 3-18 x 42 Scope

Rather read your message

If you have the time I rather read your answer so I can reference it as I make my choice.I have the Bushnell elite 6500. I hate like crazy to admit it. But I think my 4x16x40MM Elite 4200 has a little bit better glass. I can see bullet holes easier with the later rather then the former. Was thinking of buying the 4.5 x30 Elite 6500. Having 2nd thoughts. I was just at the sales counter but looking through the conquest and then the NXS I felt the conquest look clearer.

Been looking at IOR scopes for longest time. I have a 6x284 12LB rifle. I'm not going to war,not going to drop my rifle. Shoot it off bench in load evaluation and Bi-pod or shooting stick in the field. Is the IOR going to fall apart on me? Unsure if I should go with FFP or SFP ? Thinking about the 6x24x50MM Tactical for the cool effect,or maybe the 3x18x42MM. I don't expect to ever shoot farther then 500yards? I've looked through Zeiss Conquest I felt those were better optics then Nightforce NXS. What say yee?

I've just about shot the barrel outa my 6-284(bottom gun in pic) and the 6-24-35mm IOR scope has been there from the start without a single glich. The 16Xs have been on everthing from the HMR to the BMGs without any trouble.Come to think of it other than a couple of mounting issues the IORs have held up very well....Have yet to need any repairs.
IORs.jpg

Been looking at IOR scopes for longest time. I have a 6x284 12LB rifle. I'm not going to war,not going to drop my rifle. Shoot it off bench in load evaluation and Bi-pod or shooting stick in the field. Is the IOR going to fall apart on me? Unsure if I should go with FFP or SFP ? Thinking about the 6x24x50MM Tactical for the cool effect,or maybe the 3x18x42MM. I don't expect to ever shoot farther then 500yards? I've looked through Zeiss Conquest I felt those were better optics then Nightforce NXS. What say yee?

Either the 6-24 or 3-18 SFP would work just fine out to 500 yards, as would the 4-14x50 or 2.5-10x42. You do not need FFP unless ranging objects at all magnifications is important to you (like competitive shooting).

I agree the Conquest has better optics than the NXS, and I also agree thae 4200 is better optically than the 6500. It's the other features on the 6500 that you pay for. Look at Bushnell's print on both scopes, especially how they discuss the optics, and you'll have your clues.

Scott

Please post how you did the turrets. I get questions all the time how to do what you did, with the quasi-BDC knob.
You know, I had written a whole big thing up on SH but it looks like they've deleted everything older than 9 months or so. :( Give me a bit and write up some instructions. Though notice the new "correctly numbered" knobs have a slightly changed profile which will make it more of a pain.
One more thing - according to other thread here it is rare to find the distance marks on the side paralax adjustment to be spot on. They rather tend to be off quite a lot. Was it the same with Your IOR?
Well, there's only two distances listed along with a couple of dots. 100 and ∞. ∞ is right, 100 seems to be off a bit--when I shoot at 100 it looks like the knob is on ~70 or so. I suppose one could re-set the knob with a little screwdriver, but since the knob doesn't turn very far and it doesn't have many numbers, it doesn't matter to me at all. I'll take a pic. On a knob that turns farther and has a bunch of numbers, it's more of an annoyance if they're off. I reset the one on my Falcon because I didn't like where they put the dot so I made my own dot and reset the knob. It has a bunch of numbers all the way around so it's nicer if they're at least close.
Although the IOR (Schott) glass is wonderful, I would choose durability over resolution any day of the week.
And of course few would disagree with that, but unfortunately it's not quite so easy. A comparable USO or S&B will cost twice as much. So that's not really a fair comparison and it's simply not an option for many people. Nightforce scopes are great, but they're very different as well. If the features above are what you want and what you will enjoy using, you simply can't get them from Nightforce. So it's not just a matter of accepting the glass, it's accepting an entire scope that isn't what you want.

other options?

Can You point to any other scopes worth considering that would have those features:

-durable
-good glass
-mil recticle
-mil clicks
-target turrets
-paralax adjustment (not necceserily side, bell is OK)
-half the S&B price or so

?

The SH FFP scopes are out of stock, so there is a wait yet again on any warranty claims. Val screwed the pooch on that one.
Well crap. Anybody got a S&B for sale? That's right ladies and gents, I've now broken my third.

So I guess there's your answer dbhunter. Unless mine was too early (#135) to have "the fix" implemented as well I simply can't recommend them for anything that kicks. What a shame.

Well crap. Anybody got a S&B for sale? That's right ladies and gents, I've now broken my third.

So I guess there's your answer dbhunter. Unless mine was too early (#135) to have "the fix" implemented as well I simply can't recommend them for anything that kicks. What a shame.

Bummer. Sorry to hear that. Sounded like you were really happy with the 3-18X 42 mm FFP IOR scope until it just went tit$ up. I've got two of the 3-18X SFP IOR scopes and so far so good. What exactly is it about the FFP scopes that has failed three times? Tracking? Changing zero? I'd like to know so I can keep an eye out for any malfunctions I might experience with either of my scopes. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Nightforce NSX?

Aaaaaa, no?

-MOA clicks
-second focal plane recticles (I think)

Jon A! Did Your IOR broke down? Is that what You're saying? ****! So I have to wait untill the reliability improves or I'll be stuck with a broken scope in the land with no IOR customer service.

Sounded like you were really happy with the 3-18X 42 mm FFP IOR scope until it just went tit$ up.
Yes. I absolutely love the scopes. Until they break.
Tracking? Changing zero? I'd like to know so I can keep an eye out for any malfunctions I might experience with either of my scopes.
Don't worry. Tracking, keeping zero, etc, has always been 100% perfect. When these break you know it during the recoil of the shot that breaks it (unless you flinched and closed your eye). The scope goes blurry, the reticle goes blurry. You know when it's broken before you recover from the shot. Though I would not expect the same failure from the SFP as they are completely different internal designs and haven't had a failure rate anything like these FFP's.
-MOA clicks
-second focal plane recticles (I think)
They do offer Mil clicks for an additional charge. But they're all SFP right now. They're working on a FFP which will hopefully be available in a year or so, but none available now.
So I have to wait untill the reliability improves or I'll be stuck with a broken scope in the land with no IOR customer service.
For the 3-18 FFP I'd have to say yes. If you want FFP cough up the cash for a S&B or USO. Premier will have a new scope out in the next few months that might be just what the doctor ordered for many and it'll have to meet the USMC test requirments for toughness. And Nightforce will eventually offer it but I wouldn't expect it too soon.

IOR had the chance to dominate this market in this pricerange. They screwed it up.

So I think it is a perfect time to post an F*** word here. All USO scopes are FFP right? $3000 instead of $1500 :( I think I rather look for a non variable magnification scope for now. Any clues (MIL cliks is a priority as is a zero stop)?

Wow Jon, that sucks. You have been a loyal IOR customer but "3 strikes" and I don't blame you.

Your scope should have been Gen II.

You're right, IOR had a Golden Opportunity and this was the biggest whiff I've ever seen. No more excuses.

Scott

So I think it is a perfect time to post an F*** word here. All USO scopes are FFP right? $3000 instead of $1500 :( I think I rather look for a non variable magnification scope for now. Any clues (MIL cliks is a priority as is a zero stop)?
I think you could option a USO 3.2-17 a bit below that, but with all the bells and wistles I'd want it'd be right there or more. If you aren't too picky about the options, you could likely find a used one close to $2K. Now if fixed is OK, you could save a lot getting their 10X or 17X fixed. Or for that matter, if 10X is enough their 1.8-10 is much cheaper than the 3.2-X.
Wow Jon, that sucks. You have been a loyal IOR customer but "3 strikes" and I don't blame you.
Yeah, 3 strikes is right. I feel like shoving a thrust washer up somebody's *** about now. I'll bet they put the guy who was in charge of numbering the knobs the first time around as overseeing "the fix." There is no excuse.

It has been like a prolonged cruel joke—here's a fantastic scope with everything you want for a price you can actually not feel too guilty about. Just kidding! XXXX XX. I've got a used S&B on the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a used S&B on the way.

Well you should be happy with the glass in that S&B. Could you let me know how it compares with the 3-18X IOR glass? I've never had a chance to compare them side by side and always wondered how much improvement another $1500 would buy. Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.