Introduction, need help making decisions

Dg765

All right, let me start with my experience. I am comfortable shooting out to 600 yards with optics and the farthest I have shot with M1A irons is 500. I live in Southeast KY where we shoot on old reclaimed strip mines. Depending on which beach you find shots can be a max of 100 yards-2 miles. Right around 2000-3000' elevation depending on how much coal is left. Here is my dilemma, I want to get a bit more serious. Currently my long range setup has been a 1/12 twist howa 308 and a Rem 700 long range 7 mag. Both had Nikon Scopes that Milled at 12 power and done fine for holdovers at my 5-600 yard range. I recently purchased a SS12x and a ffp diamondback to learn to dial, was going to put the 12x on the 7mag diamondback on the .308 and go to town. Here-in lies the dilemma, went to the gun store yesterday to look at scopes, guy had just traded a Savage 308 with the Fclass HS stock, target accutrigger, Harris bipod, NXS f1 and Larue QD Rings. The owner priced it for $1200 so I bought it. Now what would you guys do, Nxs to the 7mag, 12x on one 308 and ffp on the other. Leave the savage as I bought it load some heavies and 12x on 7 mag and put the 12x on something else? I do reload and everything else, just never had a scope that dialed and always used reticle. Except for a cds on a .270 Kimber Montana that is awesome to 550 with 140 Berger's. Thanks guys

Why don't you learn to dial with the Savage? Its already set up and cheaper to shoot.
I know that's the most practical answer. I have a ton of reloading supplies for 7mm, I shoot 7 mag, 280ai and 280. As for 308 I still have 500 168amax and 2000 155 match bthp. My how's wouldn't shoot anything heavier than the 155s very well. At 500 it shot the 155s at 3", when I stretched out to 6 any wind at all was very very noticeable. I need to get some heavy 30 caliber bullets and start loading I guess. May try some 178 and 208 eld and see where I end up. I'll probably start with varget and re17, have plenty Lapua Brass and Br2s.

Just my opinion but I'd put the NXS on the 7mm then spend a lot of time with that rifle till it becomes totally automatic to use it. Sometimes I think with the nearly infinite options in rifles, scopes, bases, rings, cartridges, powder, bullets, primers, brass etc. we forget that we need to learn to use the stuff effectively. Something to be said for the saying "beware the man with one gun".

Again just my opinion but I have basically two rifles I can use in my sleep. One is a Ruger M77 Hawkeye II in .300 WM and the other is my AR in 5.56. I spend a lot of time with these rifles in dry fire practice and on the range.

For many years my only rifle was an all weather m77 7mag with a vxII. I used it for coyotes to my 1 elk hunt. I need to rebarrel it, but won't for sentimental reasons. That rifle has a documented 1300 rounds through it. It was my first rifle when I was 13 until I was almost 30. Then I got a good job and bought too many rifles. Now I stopped buying rifles and am upgrading scopes. It took a long time to realize that matters more than the rifle. I'll never be able to afford tier 1, but I think i'm Heading in the right direction.

Just my opinion but I'd put the NXS on the 7mm then spend a lot of time with that rifle till it becomes totally automatic to use it. Sometimes I think with the nearly infinite options in rifles, scopes, bases, rings, cartridges, powder, bullets, primers, brass etc. we forget that we need to learn to use the stuff effectively. Something to be said for the saying "beware the man with one gun".

Again just my opinion but I have basically two rifles I can use in my sleep. One is a Ruger M77 Hawkeye II in .300 WM and the other is my AR in 5.56. I spend a lot of time with these rifles in dry fire practice and on the range.

This is good advise. Out of the three rifle mentioned the 700 LR in 7 mag would be my choice with the NXS (assuming it's a shooter as some 700 LR are and some definitely are not). 7 RM is a great LR cartridge and with some 180 VLDs it will be hard to beat. Throw a good trigger in it, and a brake if you're not a fan of the recoil and run with it.

Leave the savage alone put the diamond back on the 7mag and the 12 swfa on the 308. The 7 might shake the diamond back to pieces no worries lifetime vip warrranty. At that time upgrade it to a ffp pst. The savage will sling all the heavies. If you look up Montana marine he is slinging the 215's in a 12tw 308 at 2600fps. That savage will have a longer pipe and a 10tw. Get some mr 2000 223cfe rl17. I know the mr2000 will push heavies fast 223cfe seems to be the same powder and rl17 is what Montana Marine was actually using. If you need 308 stuff RMR bullets has M118LR pull down brass powder and 175smk's I bought 500pcs of brass. It is primed with the #34 primers. All I did was run the expander ball into the neck to make them round and 42grn varget with the 168 bergers. 2810fps and less than a bullet's width of vertical at 480yds. Same brass with 45grn of 4064 and 150's I have a match solid and the ballistic tips for practice/hunting 2830fps and 1.25" groups with the noslers at 300yds the solids are about half that and 35fps faster with the charge.
Practice with the 308's it will teach you wind better than the 7mag. It will also be far less money to shoot with outstanding barrel life. Bring the 7 and confirm cold bore and different temps along with actual drops vs a ballistics program.
If you wanted Lapua brass $80-100 with shipping from about everywhere.

When they first come out My father and I bought matching rifles, he traded his for a 44 Henry. It was the better shooter of the two. I already have a timney and a brake on it. It shoots the 175 sgk about 3/4 at 100 and doesn't really open up until 300. Everything else I have tried is a solid 1-1 1/2 moa load. The throat is really short on this rifle. I tried some vld and had to seat them in so far, it didn't work out. After about 300 rounds I can fit the 162 eldx which is what I shoot in my 280s, but haven't found accuracy yet. Still have 300 of the Sierras to shoot up and then will try the Berger's again. I have moved to them in my 270s and bought some 150 to try in the 280s. Hornady bullets just don't seem consistent lot to lot

Leave the savage alone put the diamond back on the 7mag and the 12 swfa on the 308. The 7 might shake the diamond back to pieces no worries lifetime vip warrranty. At that time upgrade it to a ffp pst. The savage will sling all the heavies. If you look up Montana marine he is slinging the 215's in a 12tw 308 at 2600fps. That savage will have a longer pipe and a 10tw. Get some mr 2000 223cfe rl17. I know the mr2000 will push heavies fast 223cfe seems to be the same powder and rl17 is what Montana Marine was actually using. If you need 308 stuff RMR bullets has M118LR pull down brass powder and 175smk's I bought 500pcs of brass. It is primed with the #34 primers. All I did was run the expander ball into the neck to make them round and 42grn varget with the 168 bergers. 2810fps and less than a bullet's width of vertical at 480yds. Same brass with 45grn of 4064 and 150's I have a match solid and the ballistic tips for practice/hunting 2830fps and 1.25" groups with the noslers at 300yds the solids are about half that and 35fps faster with the charge.
Practice with the 308's it will teach you wind better than the 7mag. It will also be far less money to shoot with outstanding barrel life. Bring the 7 and confirm cold bore and different temps along with actual drops vs a ballistics program.
If you wanted Lapua brass $80-100 with shipping from about everywhere.
Thanks for the information. I have 6 or 8 pounds of 17 and charger, may have some code 223 I know have some for 300. That 7 has very little recoil, but I either run a suppressor or put a brake on everything from 223-338 win mag. I'll check out the pull downs. I bought some from widners a few years ago, I only live an hour or so from them.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.