IMR 7828 from 1992 Lose Potency

I hand loaded quite a lot in the mid 80's. I have powder in metal cans partially used during those days. I recently used some IMR 4831 which had a brown dusty residue. I loaded a few and performed fine. Primers were same age.
Just my experience!

Like everyone else has stated, if stored properly, it should be ok. In the 80's, I bought some fairly large lots of surplus powders, which were many years old then, and I am still loading a few pounds of it today. Also, during the 80's, I bought a lot of powder, BLC-2, 4895, Reddot, 452, 473 etc from a few old time club members and other rifle and shotgun powders from a reloading supply shop that was going out of business. I still have a few cans of those, and they still work very well.

Through the decades and many hundreds of pounds of powder, I have only had 1 canister of AA3100 go bad. I am not sure what caused that, but after a few years and about 1/2 pound left, it turned into a solid clump with a very acidic smell.

No difference I get exactly the same velocity from the 1940 surplus powder that I was getting 50 years ago. What part of a dozen of us saying it works fine is unclear.

cencenE="Double Dropper, post: 2000588, member: 92893"]
Missing the point/question, stored properly will there be any performance loss over time?
[/QUOTE]

Wow, found a full can of IMR 7828 stored in the back of the cabinet, cool and dry storage. It looks to be 1992, it smells normal, and has no unusual appearance, would it lose performance? Use it? Toss it? Thoughts?
You can give it to me to dispose of for you.

I still have powder from the 60's and 70's that works perfect. Only problem is when you hit the perfect load and use it up the replacement doesn't always duplicate the original.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.