Imr 7828 & imr 7828 ssc

everything I've read says they are the same . use the same data . the short cut will meter better in your powder measure .

if I were using it in a large capacity case I'd use the 7828 , I like a full case . if I were using it in a smaller case I'd use the 7828ssc , I don't like a compressed load . Jim

my experiments show that 'I' can treat them the same.

However, I can load more of the ssc in the 270 Win and out perform the regular cut.

Additionally I can use the ssc in an overbore extreme magnum with out any powder bridging pressure spike problem.

It apparently flows nearly as well as a ball powder.......

Thanks guys.

I will use the SSC in my .243 and .243 AI. Max load with .243 and a 100 Gr. Partition is compressed with 7828, The SSC shouldnt be?

Im pretty new to the reloading game, I appreciate all the wisdom I can get.

I want to warn you that my experience is there are pretty big differences between cans. I have found as much as 5 grains difference. Now to qualify that more. I am speaking of the one pound flat cans and the newer round bottles. I have a brand new 8lb jug I will shoot from in the next few days and will post the differences. I loaded an 85 grain load from a flat can and the power in the newer round bottles was 5 grains hotter.
Part of the problem was some of the powder I had was made before Hodgon bought them. I now have three partial empty cans that are all different.
It is one of my favorite powders but be careful. After blowing out primers I take it careful from jug to jug.

With my experience there is a different, the 7828ssc is a little faster, maybe because of the Super Short Cut, I know lot to lot will be different but not that much I would think, with the same charge weight of both powders in two loads in my 338 Lapua, the 7828ssc average 151 fps more with 300gr SMK, 118 fps more with 250gr SMK.

Should I treat the SSC different or just laod it the same as the regular stuff? I have both on hand.

Even though they are supposed to be the same I would treat them different until I did some
comparison testing .

Powder can be different from lot to lot and if you are loading "hard" I think it would be wise
to back off a little when changing powders.

I use a lot of H 4831 and H4831sc and there is a difference between the two.

Load up 3 rounds with the same weight powder charges of each and send them through a
chronograph.

Better safe than sorry
J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.