IMR 7828 from 1992 Lose Potency

Double Dropper

Wow, found a full can of IMR 7828 stored in the back of the cabinet, cool and dry storage. It looks to be 1992, it smells normal, and has no unusual appearance, would it lose performance? Use it? Toss it? Thoughts?

I have a couple of lbs of IMR 7828 from that era & it works fine. Also have some Korean war era military 30-06 ammo. Fires perfect. Just shot some of that 7828 a week or so ago. Not the slightest problem. Correction, mine is Dupont. 7828

Wow, found a full can of IMR 7828 stored in the back of the cabinet, cool and dry storage. It looks to be 1992, it smells normal, and has no unusual appearance, would it lose performance? Use it? Toss it? Thoughts?
I have one as well, its the "DUPONT" flat can. I am curious to see what the consensus is.

If it smells ok then use it. Don't load a bunch, try a few first. A friend had a couple of metal cans of IMR 4350, one was stinky the other smelled good. Dumped the stinky in the garden and lit it off.

I am still using IMR 4895 pulled form 1950's 60's military ammo. If it has been stored properly like you say it should be fine.
I have even used powder from some WWII era 8x57JS ammo that who knows how it was stored that the primers were dead. I just pulled the bullets weighed the powder which was a square flake to get an average of what the charge was. Used the average charge to fill a newly primed case and used the pulled bullet. They shot great and were very accurate.

I have some IMR 4320 that my grandpa left me dated 10/1954 its a 10 Lb. Keg still have about a gallon left working great and bullet speeds are close to book.

I have a few powders, more than 20 years old, stored in the garage, in Texas. Some are in DUPONT/IMR metal containers, some are in carton cylindrical containers. They all look good, smell fine. I think I will test them starting low and see. Also have several primers from the same era. (CC, Federal, Win, Remington)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.