Imr 7828

tribb

I am asking if anyone has used or has any suggestions about using imr 7828 in 270 Winchester 130 or 140 grain bullets

I'm sure it would work for those weights, but likely a better with 150's since it is a slowish powder. I considered it a few years ago but went down the classic H4831SC route first. They are very similar with IMR 7828SSC being slightly slower burning and a little more temperature sensitive. You'll run out of case capacity before hitting pressure with 130's.

The 270 Win can handle a full range of powders. I've loaded from H4895 for reduced recoil, IMR4064, H4350, H4831SC, to RL26.

My best load accuracy wise is H4350 with 130 Interlocks around 2950 fps. Best speed is RL26 at >3200 fps with 145 ELD-Xs. Most economical IMR4064 with 130s. H4831SC is a jack of all trades in the 270 from 130-150gr, but the master of none... but still a great all around hunting powder with sub MOA accuracy.

Last edited:
I run the 7828 and 140 Accubonds in my .270wby but I would agree with Stammster that it would probably be too slow in a Winchester. H4831 is where I would probably start as well if you can find it.

I like 7828 in my 270. I like that it gets full performance but is all but impossible to overcharge to dangerous extremes. It is admittedly less efficient than faster powders out of my 22 Inch tube...but a big fireball and kaboom can be gratifying in a way. Tbh I've found that with 130, 140, and 150 grain I just load 60 grains (win brass) and shoot. Very accurate.

I've come to believe the reloading books and authors don't realize the 270s possibility because they cripple it by not trying slower powders. That's changing though. Never tried rl26 but the old rl25 is awesome too.

for a non magnum cartridge it sure does it's best work with magnum burn rate powders. To me 4831 is on the fast end of what I use. Rl22 gives the highest velocity so far but is very temp sensitive as I learned the hard way. Got a pound of rl23 and 7977 to try in the 270, hopefully this summer. They might be the ones to beat, here's hoping.

I run the 7828 and 140 Accubonds in my .270wby but I would agree with Stammster that it would probably be too slow in a Winchester. H4831 is where I would probably start as well if you can find it.
You would think that but I found it's not the case. It's weird actually, more than anything else I've shot or reloaded for my 270 likes just about anything and everything as far as projectiles and the burn rate window is huge. I now stick to 4831 and slower burn rates but have tried others and while it couldn't get the FPS without excessive pressure it sure could group well with 4064.

it's not a tack driver. A jack of all trades master of none reliable workhorse. Mine has never printed a one hole group. But In all my shooting experience both factory and handloaded ammo there have been exactly 2 loads it didn't keep inside 1.5 inches at 100 and one was with 180 woodleighs that didn't keyhole but I suspect nonetheless need to be spun faster, the other a Winchester factory round with visibly different seating depths in the box so does that even count? It's not truly amazing at anything but dang it's agreeable and easy to work with. I'll always have a 270 (as I get older I realize people are like that - I'd much rather spend my days with agreeable types who are easy to work with than those who are the best at one specific thing and tons of maintenance :) )

I am asking if anyone has used or has any suggestions about using imr 7828 in 270 Winchester 130 or 140 grain bullets
When 7828 came out it was my go too powder. The Lawyer friendly loads on hodgdon Show 60.2 for a 130. Winchester cases have the biggest volume. But it was pretty simple. tall drop tube and 62 grains behind 130's 60 grains behind 140's, and 58 grain behind 150's All SPBT's and large rifle standard primers.

Of course work up to it. I had good case life, but my shortest barrel was 26 in 270 win.

For a shorter barrel I have used Superformance and the new Staball 6.5.

When 7828 came out it was my go too powder. The Lawyer friendly loads on hodgdon Show 60.2 for a 130. Winchester cases have the biggest volume. But it was pretty simple. tall drop tube and 62 grains behind 130's 60 grains behind 140's, and 58 grain behind 150's All SPBT's and large rifle standard primers.

Of course work up to it. I had good case life, but my shortest barrel was 26 in 270 win.

For a shorter barrel I have used Superformance and the new Staball 6.5.
Thanks

H4831 & 4831SC are outstanding in .270 Win. 7828SSC shows instability here in the Az heat. Been shooting 140gr VLDH in my .270 and the Hornady SST in a couple others. Most people I know have a .270, they are by no means dead!

H4831 & 4831SC are outstanding in .270 Win. 7828SSC shows instability here in the Az heat. Been shooting 140gr VLDH in my .270 and the Hornady SST in a couple others. Most people I know have a .270, they are by no means dead!
I like Az during our winter here in Co.

Anybody seen Mudrunner ??????

tenor.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.