IMR 7828 .300 Weatherby...

we went to 79 gr 7828 in the accumark 300roy my buddy has but settled on 77 grains with either the 225 hdy hpbt or 220 smk with nos or roy brass and a 215... ymmv though and start rather mild in case your bore is tighter than his is...

I agree... I'd start around 72-74 grains. So far I have worked my .300 Ackley up to 74gr (no pressure signs) with the 210 VLD's. I haven't had a chance to keep working up yet.

In my rifle 80.00 is a VERY hot load- the problem is it shoots so **** well. The load is so hot I can not even shoot it if the weather is much above 85* (it beats the brass up to much)

I have no idea what the max would be in your rifle- watch for pressure signs and be careful.

In my rifle 80.00 is a VERY hot load- the problem is it shoots so **** well. The load is so hot I can not even shoot it if the weather is much above 85* (it beats the brass up to much)

I have no idea what the max would be in your rifle- watch for pressure signs and be careful.
Thanks man, i was just wondering where to start and stop on my work up. I have been searching manuals far and wide LOL. I'm going to load up three rounds each starting at 76 grns ending at 80.5 and see how far i can take it up before it maxes out. Hopefully i find a safe upper node.

Yikes, 85° for shooting. Only if I have to....

Just joking.

That all seems right to me. I have not loaded the 300Wby that way yet but I'm going to.

Well I loaded up a work up, starting at 76grrns up to 80grns. I went with a 3.57" coal, that's as far as I could go with out using the bolt release to unload a loaded round. I doubt that I make it to 80grns without pressure, even if I do, I may not use it, by the time I get it shipped as you all know brass is $2.00 apiece.
So I'm going after a decent velocity, with good brass life and accuracy being the variable that trumps all.
(within safe pressure, of course.)

Well I went out to the range today, the recoil wasn't bad at all. I have a question about Norma brass, I am getting a very faint ejector mark at 77.5 grns but the primers are as round as they look new. If it was a headspace issue with new brass you think it would flatten the primers also. Is Norma brass soft? I'm also going to check to see if the ejector hole has a burr around it.

Yes the Norma brass is that soft.
Thanks Fred,
It was very hot and humid today, about 92* 95-100%humidity.(rainy) and this range is set up where you face the west, and the roof of the benches doesn't shade to rifles and I had my ammo on the bench in the sun. So tomorrow I'm going to another range with better shade to rule out the extreme heat the rifle and ammo was exposed to.

Weatherby factory ammo does the same thing to the brass.
That's really good news to me, I don't feel so disappointed in my results. The mark is very faint, I can't catch with my fingernail. I'm going to continue tomorrow and look for distinct ejector marks with some distorted primers not necessarily flat primers, just something other than nicely rounded primer, that looks like a very mild load.
I'm thinking about the F1 shooting Chrony, that I discussed with Fred (JFSeaman) a while ago. I'm really just taking a shot in the dark. (no pun intended ) when it comes to pressure and a truly consistent load. Although I have had pretty good success at long range steel shooting without one.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts