I primed my brass without resizing. Now what?

All of the above is useless, simple fix is to screw the decapping rod up into the die until the pin isn't protruding below the die mouth, no lube or contaminants will be able to touch anything but the outside of the case. I would also recommend you leave the decapping stem loose, it will self align.

Cheers.
gun)

+1!

I wouldn't think twice. I would just deprime those cases and size them.

I am a creature of habit. boringly so

decap and throw in the ultrasonic

put them in my gas oven with the pilot light to dry

then size and throw them in the tumbler to delube

then it is prime,charge and seat bullets

I anneal every 3 firings

mostly neck size and don't have to trim very often. After about 5 to 8 firings I do the full length resize and that is when I usually run them through the trimmer.

pretty much always have some at each stage of the process.

All of the above is useless, simple fix is to screw the decapping rod up into the die until the pin isn't protruding below the die mouth, no lube or contaminants will be able to touch anything but the outside of the case. I would also recommend you leave the decapping stem loose, it will self align.

Cheers.
gun)

That's the way John Wayne would do it. I second your recommendation. That's the way I do it also.

I wouldn't think twice. I would just deprime those cases and size them.

That's what I'd do also. Just knock the primers out and start over, it keeps things consistent instead of monkeying around with the expander ball & removing pins, etc. Just wear your safety glasses and go slow.

That's what I'd do also. Just knock the primers out and start over, it keeps things consistent instead of monkeying around with the expander ball & removing pins, etc. Just wear your safety glasses and go slow.

Maybe I'm naive but isn't this mighty dangerous with live primers? Do you reuse them afterwards?

Maybe I'm naive but isn't this mighty dangerous with live primers? Do you reuse them afterwards?

lightbulbIf you don't feel comfortable, simply don't do it. I don't re-use them, didn't want to take the chance on ignition failures.lightbulb

[ame]https://youtu.be/RtHGlO2_j9c?t=50[/ame]

NOTE: I soak mine with oil penetrating oil, I few drop will do.

Last edited:
Hello

I used a universal depriming die to decap my brass. Then I idiotically primed the brass without resizing. I'm trying to figure out what my options are.

Here are my thoughts
1) trash the brass and move on (is that dangerous?)
2) removing the decapping pin and just keep the stem so I can resize keep the neck size but not touch the primer
3) fire the primers off in the rifle and start afresh

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Use #2 and you will be fine.

I had 200 resized cases and 200 cases ready to resize sitting on my "wife's" freezer next to my reloading bench in loading trays. My wife wanted a loaf of bread out of the freezer and moved the loading trays and put them back in reverse order. Bottom line, I primed the unsized cases. So do not feel alone, because mistakes happen like this all the time. Bread and ice cream in the freezer are the biggest culprits. Followed by short term memory loss, long term memory loss, alzheimer's and not putting sticky notes on the loading trays.

If you want to remove the primers then use your universal deprimer to push out the primers. The universal depriming die is wide open on the inside and would vent pressure safer if one would go off. That being said I have been reloading for over 47 years and have removed live primers many, many times without any problems and just going slow.

I also reuse the primers when this happens and keep these loaded rounds as fouler shots and never had one of these primers fail to fire.

Bringing an old one back to life rather than making a new thread. Bought my 6mm br dies and 100 rounds of loaded ammo, shot my ammo and measured the neck for my bushing size with redding competition 3 die set, while waiting for my bushing I deprimed all 100 with universal decapping die. Prepped them and primed not thinking about needing to size the necks.

Then my bushing shows up and I was thinking oh yeah I need to neck size but unless I am missing something I can't remove the decapping pin on my competition die and still size my necks. I removed the micrometer and decapping pin but then the die doesn't size the neck. I hope I am missing something or do I need to just deprime and then neck size and start over?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.