I primed my brass without resizing. Now what?

CleanShot

Hello

I used a universal depriming die to decap my brass. Then I idiotically primed the brass without resizing. I'm trying to figure out what my options are.

Here are my thoughts
1) trash the brass and move on (is that dangerous?)
2) removing the decapping pin and just keep the stem so I can resize keep the neck size but not touch the primer
3) fire the primers off in the rifle and start afresh

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Hello

I used a universal depriming die to decap my brass. Then I idiotically primed the brass without resizing. I'm trying to figure out what my options are.

Here are my thoughts
2) removing the decapping pin and just keep the stem so I can resize keep the neck size but not touch the primer

Any ideas?

Thanks!

When that happens to me, I choose #2

I would neck size if possible but I have decapped live primers with no issues but only a few dozen. In fact I reloaded the same primers just to see what adverse effects if any there would be.... No change shot great.

Hello

Here are my thoughts

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Target loads use #2. Hunting loads use #3 because if any case lube gets on the primer it will fail. I'm old school and won't even touch a primer with my fingers.

All of the above is useless, simple fix is to screw the decapping rod up into the die until the pin isn't protruding below the die mouth, no lube or contaminants will be able to touch anything but the outside of the case. I would also recommend you leave the decapping stem loose, it will self align.

Cheers.
gun)

Well I would just run it through you universal decapping die and trash the primers. I have done it many times with no problem. It is the ones in backwards that I am careful with.

Just wear safety glass for extra measure of safety. It takes a pretty good lick to set off a primer.

When you screw the decapping rod up you change the location of the expander ball. That is a real problem

removing decapping pins is a PITA. I wouldn't bother.

Option #3a - use this opportunity to fireform your brass. Google fireforming brass using cream of wheat.

Hello

Here are my thoughts

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Cleanshot
#2. Been there done that.

The only problem I see using method #2, is that if your brass stretches after sizing, it would need to be trimmed, which I guess could still be done at the risk of brass shavings on the primers(I have no idea if that is problamatic:))

I would deprime/size and scrap the primers. The cost of primers is insignificant, generally speaking. Then check for length and carry on.

Been there, done that.

• Remove the decapping pin. It's not that hard.
  • Size the brass. If this is new brass,short stroke the sizing all you need to do is iron out the necks.
  • If it has to be trimmed, be as careful as you can to keep shavings out of the case. Gently tapping the case upside down on a thick pad of paper towels, 4 layers or so, will remove any shavings. You are visually inspecting right? LOL.
  • Load as normal.
It's not a big deal when it happens, it just messes up my rhythm a bit.

My recipie is: (each step is "if needed)

• Brush the inside of the necks with a caliber size bore brush in a drill
  • Anneal
  • Clean (I tumble)
  • Size and deprime
  • Clean/uniform the primer pockets
  • Trim to length, debur the outside, champher the inside.
  • Prime and load.
Sometimes I will have slight variations by I made up labels that I check off each step, make notes and other things like how many firings.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.