I just came home from watching the "American Sniper" movie.

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
Kathy came with me and we both thought the movie was even better than we expected.

It was a matinee showing and still it was sold out. I am glad so many Americans are seeing this movie.

I watched it last Friday. Well worth watching. The theater was packed and it's still packed for every showing, compared to other releases. When the movie ended there was only silence and reverence at the showing I attended. Quieter than church. Not tears. I think it was common sense of respect for Chris Kyle.

A mate & I went to see this movie last Friday night & the line up was incredible. It was only released the day before, here in Australia. I enjoyed it & I think most in the cinema did as well. I haven't read the book yet, but it is ordered & I look forward to reading it. I'd recommend it to anyone. Another winner for Clint Eastwood in my opinion...my all time favourite actor.

Excellent movie. First and only movie that did the book justice. Still very worth reading the book much more detail to things of course. Every one asked me if it was different from what I pictured in the book and it was the first time it was about spot on. Call it Great book writing and great directing together.
I couldn't put the book down finished it on the plan to Africa. Loved the book so much that I gave it to our guide and bought another for the coffee table at home favorite of all time. Chris is a true hero.

I was lucky enough to score tickets for the last showing on opening night. The first two showings were sold out well in advance. It was a mad house in there, the entire lobby was full of folks waiting for a seat. Wonderful way to pay your respects to an American hero.

I have purchased & read the book when it was first published, from what I can recall they tracked together quite well. It was nice to see a movie involving firearms that didn't have an astronomical number of flaws; I only caught 2 or 3 in this one which is far fewer than I usually see. Good on them.

t

Unfortunately, when movies get pulled into passionate politics they get tough to speak of without someone taking offense.

Chris Kyle-genuine hero.

His family paid a steep price.

The actors did a great job.

I felt the movie was compressed to run in a particular time slot. It could have been a mini series, 2 hours, 5 nights. If I had not read the book to fill in some gaps it would have been tough to follow for me.

A surprising number of people did not know who Chris Kyle was, and the fact he died was a surprise to others. For making his name a household word, and putting veterans needs at the forefront, all involved deserve a lot of credit. Especially in the light of so many not wanting this story told.

The movie was just a movie. Actually, to me, the best of the movie was in showing what the stresses of war are really like. I'm a combat disabled veteran of Vietnam. I only served one tour...I can not begin to imagine what 1,2,3,4 tours are doing to the minds and bodies of our service men/women.

The movie was just a movie. Actually, to me, the best of the movie was in showing what the stresses of war are really like. I'm a combat disabled veteran of Vietnam. I only served one tour...I can not begin to imagine what 1,2,3,4 tours are doing to the minds and bodies of our service men/women.

Yeah, war movies just don't do it for me anymore. Hollywood makes it a lot sexier than it is. It was pretty good in that they didn't put emphasis or make it some kind of "Band of Brothers" or "Hooah" type crap. Watch Blackhawk Down or Act of Valor and you'll see what I'm talking about. This movie did an excellent job of not trying to show military culture (which Hollywood normally does a terrible job at portraying). I can relate to the coming home issues. Not dramatic but not exactly a fun thing to go through either.

I read the book and can't wait to see the movie! I'm a US Navy Vet. And am very Proud of our SEAL's.
Funny story- After they showed the SEAL recuiting film to us in boot camp, (early 70's) I wanted to try out for SEAL's. After thinking about it awhile, I remembered there were snakes in the jungles.
Well I am terrified of snakes and I could just see me and my team crawling upto an enemy camp and me seeing a snake jumping up screaming like a little girl, wetting my BDU'S and getting my team killed. I decided that maybe that wasn't thd right career choice for me. So that ended my dream of becoming a SEAL. Now at age 60 I still wish I had tried out for SEAL training just to see if I could have made it. and who knows maybe it would have conquered my fear of snakes? I haven't yet.:'(

Rupe

OUTLAW 6.

I would like to thank you on your standing ethics... It really sticks in my craw when
the wannabe's get into some thing they have never experienced or know anything about...

I think I enjoyed "Lone Survivor" more!! Where we are comparing the REAL thing???

Knapper

The wife and I saw it last weekend, it made my eyes leak a little and it was dead quiet at the end.

I've read the book and thought the movie was an excellent portayal of the book.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.