American Sniper by Chris Kyle

winmag

I opened the cover, & couldn't put it down. One day read. I highly recomend this book.

It has very little to do with Long range shooting, eventhough Chris Kyle has the current record for most confirmed kills. It's more of a peek into the life of a SEAL team member, & some of his experiences. As well as a credit to some of his friends, & fellow team members who gave all.

The guy is humble, & truly an American Patriot, as is his family. I'm still in awe of what some guys are willing to sacrifice for our country.

I'm even more proud to be an American after this read. Thank you to ALL our Veterans, & a special thank you to the silent warriors who consistantly give so much.

Lone Survivor, by Marcus Luttrell is next on my list.

+1 Good Read! I'd heard that old "Scruff Face" in the book was Jesse Ventura, but that Ventura disputes what actually happened. I'm hoping Kyle smacked him good.

I downloaded the book on my Nook Color. It si a special addition where he talks about different situations he explains in the book. It is crazy cool. If you are looking for another dynamite read...Lone Survior. The author is a very good friend of Mr. Kyles that was in SEAL teams. This story is unbelieveable.

Check it out!!

+1 on Lone Survivor. Next time you have a little ache or are feeling down, just go back and think about what Marcus had to go through. Simply amazing.

Randy

I agree win WinMag, there is very little on actual sniping except some info on training. I wouldn't buy one. Just get one from the library ILL system.

Sniper missions must have changed, because it sounded like he included walking the streets with a standard semi-auto with a some sort of optic slapped on it so anything counts, even 15-45 yard shots.

I agree win WinMag, there is very little on actual sniping except some info on training. I wouldn't buy one. Just get one from the library ILL system.

Sniper missions must have changed, because it sounded like he included walking the streets with a standard semi-auto with a some sort of optic slapped on it so anything counts, even 15-45 yard shots.

It doesn't look like you & I see it anywhere near the same way.
Now, if you served, then you have my deepest respect. Your opinion may be different from mine, due to actual experience in that field (sniper) in the service. In which case, you earned your opinion, & my post is not meant to offend you.
I'll clarify how I expected my post to be interpreted,
The book doesn't mention a lot about the finer details of the sniper shots, such as doping the wind, or how many minutes of angle he had to dial up etc. Many references to 5 guys here, 7 there, ranges between x & 2100 yds. Zeroed @ 500 for average & so on.
I am in NO WAY discrediting the man on HOW he got his kills, or at what range. I personally don't care how far they were. He served his country proudly, & honorably, & like he said, it was strictly a matter of being in a Target Rich Environment at the right time.
His adventures on the ground, were to help save the lives of other soldiers who weren't trained as extensively as he was in clearing buildings. He put his butt on the line, & risked being in Big trouble from his superiors for doing this. But he did it to save lives, not to rack up numbers. He had fully capable snipers "on the gun" while he was helping show the other brave soldiers how he had been trained to clear buildings. Men were dying, & he felt he could do more good helping/showing them the techniques he was taught. He felt obligated to help, & did so.
He should be honored for his actions, NOT picked apart for the minor details of "how" the talley was accumulated. I don't know for sure if those kills were counted or not, & could care less.
That man is an American Hero! He never did anything for recognition, or ribbons, or medals, or bragging rights. Enthough he earned all those privileges, he didn't wear it on his sleeve. He did it for his buddy's, & brothers in arms, & is still humble about it.

Please, guys, choose your words carefully when you post something about an American Hero like Chris Kyle, or any other Veteran.
They deserve Respect. God only knows they Earned it.
As far as the library goes, ya that's one way, but I'd rather my $ went to the propper recipient. As much as I appreciate the library for research, education, & historical significants,.... F#@* the library! I'll pay for it!

Last edited:
A while back I was watching the outdoor ch. The host was that SEAL, [I think] that was only one to make it out of a mission. He was shot up. He was back here and some duds drove by his farm and shot his dog. He called 911, and told them, then as he chased them down the road in his vehicle, he told 911, "There's going to be a gunfight'' dispatcher said ,why. He replied,''THEY SHOT MY DOG AND I HAVE A GUN" He caught them.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.