I am at a fork in the road... which way?

Mike search around for a model 10 predator hunter or model 12 lrp take off barrel, sometimes you can find them at natchez, or on here. The bell and carlson stock tank spoke of is a nice unit if you have a short action, the duramax from B&C is a nice alternative as well for half the money. The rifle basix sav 1 imo is the best in that price range although you will have to buy a pack of cut to fit wolff springs to get the pull weight below 30 ounces.

Duramax stock=125
Take off barrel=100 max
Trigger=100
Misc=75

That's 400 plus what the action cost you. If it shoots anything like the one I tossed together its a keeper

I was told to stay away from the SSS triggers. I was told they will come apart eventually due to it's construction unless you silver solder a couple pieces in the trigger housing. One stock I forgot to mention, is the Stockade Stocks. He offers some really nice stocks that will fit any Savage/Stevens action long or short. He has money saver models that come as a raw product out of the mold with sharp edges knocked off. All you have to do is skim coat, sand and paint. They are very nice stocks. If I don't go with an XLR, I'm going with Stockade. Plan to get the lightweight hunting model for my sons build when I get around to it.

Tank

One other thing, when you get around to it, shoot me a PM and I will talk you through the timing of the bolt. Its really easy. Also I'll help you set your firing pin protrusion.

Since you're talking .260 I'm assuming your Stevens is SA, not LA. This makes a difference in the availability of aftermarket parts.

Mike, the long action works fine, it will even feed fine if the rounds are placed against the very back of the magazine. The only limitations to the long action is stock selection vs price there are plenty of good stocks tactical style out there but some of the nicer cheap ones like the bell and carlson A2 tank mentioned is not available for the long action, but stockade, manners, McMillan, choate. They all make them. If you have a flat rear reciever 20 and 40moa bases are harder to get but EGW, ken ferrel and a few others make them, everything else is pretty much the same. The Rifle Basix sav1 will still work as will any other bolt parts. Also I recommend Fred at 4d for Criterion barrels as he has probably a 1000 different reamers and does good work, also kevin rayhill of stockade has real good luck with his benchmark barrels, and sin arms has a good selection if you can get in touch with him. Good luck, tinkering with them is addictive, and I do personally like to start with all factory parts to see how good I can make it shoot, then I step it up!

no its a long action, I wish it was short I was just going to put a single shot sled in it. do you reccomend I sell it and get a short action?

Not necessarily, the long action is fine. The aftermarket parts selection is more limited with the LA centerfeed. IMO the best option for you is to order a money saver stock in your preferred style, have it inletted to what you need and finish it yourself. It's easy, saves you a bunch of money, and you get a pretty **** nice stock. You'll have to wait a while though. Stocks

There are an absolute ton of prefit barrels available for the savages and most of them have outstanding reviews. Quickly looking at Mcgowen's site shows that they have several prefits in their inventory ready to ship. http://www.mcgowenbarrel.com/catalog7.htm

I built a 7mm WSM off a .270 Stevens LA, and it works great. I may turn it into a switch barrel 338 of some sort sometime in the near future.

Mike I recommend you build an absolute accurate bench bench gun that will challenge your limits every time out, whatever you perceive those limits to be...

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.