6.5 x 284 Build-Am I on the right road

soileauj

Good day all. this is my first post although I've been coming to this sight for quite some time now.

I want to take the leap and put the components together for a 6.5 x 284 hunting rifle. I currently own a custom rifle that was built by Gunwerks. Now I want something of my own creation so tmy parts list consist of the following:
1-Bat Action-HR
2-Hart Barrel
3-Manner/McMillian Stock-?
4-Jewel Trigger
5-G7 Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50 scope
6-Bat Rings

Decision to be made on the stock. Other than that I think I'm set. Action & trigger ordered. Shouldn't be a long lead time ont he scope.

For you guys with experience, am I going in the right direction?

Thanks in advance-as I've seen how the members here help each other I felt comfortable psoting this here.

I built two in the last yr and both are on the McMillan A3 Sporter stock. I like the stock for both free hand and off a bag. I have both the standard (260 rem) and the edge (7 SAUM) which saves about 1/2lb over the standard. Downside is Rem Varmint is the heaviest contour that will fit the A3 Sporter. Upside my 7 SAUM with a Rem Varmint contour is 8.5lbs without scope and both shoots in the .2-.3"s

No, I think you should send me the components and rethink this whole thing. I have several builds and all are in McMillan A5s as I like the way they feel. You are going to be happy with either one post pics when you are done.:D

Looks like you are on the right road....

The equipment you choose is pretty good. I wasn't sure about Hart barrel. There is nothing wrong with it. I just like Krieger, Lilji or Benchrest barrel.

Thanks guys.

No fear would you care to give pros and cons on the barrel selection.

The Hart barrel I'm considering is a #3 contour 8 twist.

Thanks guys.

No fear would you care to give pros and cons on the barrel selection.

The Hart barrel I'm considering is a #3 contour 8 twist.

Hart makes the finest button rifled barrels in the world. No worries. There is NO CON when it comes to Hart barrels. I have many, as well as some Liljas, which are excellent. You may want to consider a bit bigger contour and maybe flute it though. My 6.5-284 has a Bartlein and is basically a #3.5 contour. Muzzle diameter is around .650-.675.

Thanks Derek. I plan on getting fluted. I spoke with the gunsmith at Hart and he was the one that recommended the 3 contour. I no knowledge when it comes to the technical side of rifle building so any information is much appreciated. What's the advantage of going with a bigger contour?

Of course, there is nothing wrong with Hart barrels. They make outstanding barrels.

I usually looked at the benchrest rifles and the equipment they use, and there are not many Hart barrels, only Lilji, Krieger, Benchrest, and Bartlein.

Your rifle will shoot very accurate with Hart barrel anyway.

If I recall correctly, History will show that Hart and Shilen bbls have won more competitions than any other. The latest hot rods are Krieger and Bartlein.

The advantage to going a bit heavier in contour is sustained accuracy potential with better inherent consistency

I think your pick of components is excellent. I have had great success with Hart barrels. Having spent a lot of time as a wildcat with subtle but differing chamber specs I like to get specific with the details of the barrel/chamber with the smith. If you plan on using 130-140 VLD's, Lapua brass, I'd specify that for chamber/neck, and lead dimensions. I have found dimensions to vary between barrel makers, and it will make a difference. I'd also get a 1:8 twist. Use and preference dictates barrel weight, but if you are looking at a lot of long range work you might condider a heavier, fluted barrel which could provide a more stable shooting platform, and IMO balances better with the A3 stock, and heavier NF scope. Of course this all depends on what your rifle weight target is. I really like the McMillan A3 for a long range hunting stock with the sporter fill. It is comfortable, weighted nicely, and versatile for all shooting positions, and the quality and fit is exceptional. I am also a big fan of the Nightforce G7. I've been using one for a couple of years and it has become my favorite, largely due to the reticle design, and custom turrets available that have both MOA and yardage on a single turret.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.