I am at a fork in the road... which way?

Tikkamike

I have been thinking about doing a savage build for a long time and I now have a stevens 200 on the way that I am going to use as a donor. I cant decide, do I do an extreme budget build in a 260 and see how accurate I can get and for how little or build a nice long, heavy barreled 260 bench/varmint type rifle? I dont need either but want both. so based on cool factor which way would you guys go?
Option 1: Accurate rifle build for very little money
Option 2: Nice bench gun built from a cheap donor action

Like Yogie said "If you come to a Fork in the road - Take It". Build both...find out how good you really are.
My logic says buils cheap first - cause you can screw up cheaper & do the high $$$ better. Just my bean counter mentallity. Good Luck either way.:D

both are great points!And I do think it would be cool to build a tack driver at a very low cost. Plus if I go with a budget Build I will go with 260 not 260AI to help keep cost down. You guys are persuading me, hopefully more guys chime in.

:D:D:D
I'm already a couple thousand smackers into a full custom 6.5WSM with a few thou more to come for sure....

Build the budget 260, maybe mine will be finished up by the time Antelope season starts & I'll bring it over for a budget vs extreme comparison? Could be very informative for all...

Just thinking out loudgun)

Build the cheaper rifle, but make it a combination of the two. Go with a heavy 22" barrel. Use an A3 style stock. I was told by Kevin Rayhill yesterday that the Rifle Basix trigger is the best way to go. Set right around 8-10oz. That will give you crazy accuracy if your barrel is up to it. Have fun. Use the lift kit, recoil lug offered by Stockade Stocks.

This is a really nice stock. I own one. This would be the most affordable.
Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist Style 2 Remington 700 SPS BDL Savage 10/12 Weatherby Vanguard Howa 1500 Vertical Grip 2092, 2096, 2997, 2998 & 2999

This would be a nice stock too.
*SPECIAL SALE* Bobby Hart Long Range Target / Tactical (LRT) Remington 700 BDL / Savage 10/12 (4.40) Laminated Heavy Barrel Riflestocks (Right & Left Hand Models)

:D:D:D
I'm already a couple thousand smackers into a full custom 6.5WSM with a few thou more to come for sure....

Build the budget 260, maybe mine will be finished up by the time Antelope season starts & I'll bring it over for a budget vs extreme comparison? Could be very informative for all...

Just thinking out loudgun)
that sounds fun!

Maybe I will take that advice tank and do a combination of the 2, although im leaning to a longer barrel...

Tank knows Savage for sure... & a definite +1 on the Rifle Basix trigger, I have 2 of those & 2 accutriggers. I would probably go longer bbl as well just as a matter of personal preference.

I'm going to be running the 130 cutting edge bullets just as fast as I can possibly push them out of an ~30" tube.

What are you thinking about launching?

I have been thinking about doing a savage build for a long time and I now have a stevens 200 on the way that I am going to use as a donor. I cant decide, do I do an extreme budget build in a 260 and see how accurate I can get and for how little or build a nice long, heavy barreled 260 bench/varmint type rifle? I dont need either but want both. so based on cool factor which way would you guys go?
Option 1: Accurate rifle build for very little money
Option 2: Nice bench gun built from a cheap donor action

Just a thought, but it's gonna be a bunch more hard cash outta your pocket.

* time and true the action as best you can

* order in two barrel blanks. One would be about 25" finished, and in a #5 contour. The other would be a #7 contour 23" long finished.

* buy a good flat bottomed stock stock, and later opt for a second stock built to shoot off a bench. Then bed the action for both stocks

* use a Sharp Shooter EVO trigger and inlet both stocks for the trigger group..

The shorter barrel will group the best, and the difference in velocity will be minor when you look at the group consistentancy.The real problem your going to encounter is the recoil from shot to shot off the bench when using a faster twist barrel. I notice this in big cased 6mm's, and you should see it even more with the 6.5

A good factory stock to start out with is the laminated varmit stock that comes on the BVSS. Not perfect, but better than most all factory type stocks. Sharp Shooter sells an ayssemetrical forend stock that is made to counter act the recoil from the bigger cases off the bench. How well it works I don't know, but the idea seems liike a good one. Whatever stock you choose; pillar bed it.

I have a Rifle Basix trigger installed on one of my 112's, and it's a zero inlet setup. Not as good as the EVO trigger, but stiil a lot better than the factory trigger. Mine is set at just under two pounds, and have never had an issue with it. You can buy it for about one third the price of the EVO, and I'd put it at 85% as good.

Buy a Hollands recoil lug! Bed it and be done with it. I use a barrel nut on all my Savages, and woudn't think of doing anything else. Others like the shoulder setup, but I prefer the nut for engineering issues alone. I would not use a Speedlock setup in the short action. There's little to be gained here and the lock time on the Savage is very fast from the factory (only the Remington 788 is faster). I did install one of a 112, and have never reaslly been fond of it. I would change the firing pin spring for a better one. In the long action the lock time is faster, but you also encounter harmonic issues. Primer strike is much more consistent if that matters a lot.

gary

Tank knows Savage for sure... & a definite +1 on the Rifle Basix trigger, I have 2 of those & 2 accutriggers. I would probably go longer bbl as well just as a matter of personal preference.

I'm going to be running the 130 cutting edge bullets just as fast as I can possibly push them out of an ~30" tube.

What are you thinking about launching?

I am not sure, I am thinking 142smk, 140 ab 130 scirroco or maybe berger (hope Broz doesnt see this haha) something accurate and cheap to shoot lots of.

I am not sure, I am thinking 142smk, 140 ab 130 scirroco or maybe berger (hope Broz doesnt see this haha) something accurate and cheap to shoot lots of.

lol, I hear you there. I will play with the 142smk & I actually have two dozen 140 hunting VLD's to sample, however, as bbl life increases, my instincts tell me that they won't survive the launch, but we'll see. Barnes is releasing a 127grn LRX next year, BC should be over .500 easily.... who knows...

Lots of good options so I think its time I get in the 264 game... I am interested to see how the 6.5 wsm turns out. Years ago when the wsm's came out i thought it would make a rocket of a 6.5, You might need to give it to me when your done.

Lots of good options so I think its time I get in the 264 game... I am interested to see how the 6.5 wsm turns out. Years ago when the wsm's came out i thought it would make a rocket of a 6.5, You might need to give it to me when your done.

This is also my first full venture into the 6.5 world, I built a 6.5-06AI for my father several christmas' back which is a Whitetail/Antelope hammer...

I'm hoping to get on the better side of 264WM velocities, some guys report 3400fps w/140's?? Holy crap, some only 3100-3200... We will see. I intend to melonite or nitride the bbl as well.

PS- It'll be a LH rifle, you might not want it!

I have been shooting the 140 A Max out of my 6.5 Creedmoor; they've been really easy to work with and are quite a bit cheaper to shoot than the Bergers which is why I tried them in the first place. They should work great in your 260 as well.

Good luck on the build! Keep us posted on how everything turns out.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts