Am I getting the wrong numbers?

jayph

I didn't want to start another thread about what caliber but I feel I have too?

I am looking for a 1000 yard deer rifle and 500 yard moose and elk rifle. I wan't it to be no more than 11 pounds scoped and no muzzle break. I know I can handle a .300 Win Mag in a sendero but found the RUM and the like to be more than I like.

I had narrowed it down to the 7mm SAUM / 7mm/300 WSM / 300 WSM. I thought I had it all figured out and was just doing the final research on which one when I hit a road block.

I ran these numbers in a ballistic calculator
7mm SAUM 180gr Berger @ 2850
7mm/300 WSM 180gr Berger @ 2900
300 WSM 210 Berger @ 2900

I was below 2000FPS by 700 yards and I was lead to believe that is the minimum for reliable bullet expansion? Did I run the numbers right? Will these cartridges work for deer to 1000? Should I be looking at different cartridges?

My current plan is to shoot the barrels off my current two rifles learning long range shooting and wind drift while I source the parts for the build. Then sell the actions to fund the last few parts and smith bill. This will be alot of money for me and I want to do it once do it right.

I know this has been asked probably a million times but please give me some opinons and not just tell me to search. I have read quite a bit and I was trying to avoid this kind of thread but I got confused when I seen the velocity at 1000.

Thanks

Jason

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.