Barrel cleaning ,what am I doing wrong

300stw

i have a used broughton barrel that i have been cleaning.about 150 rounds,
i am using motana bore cleaner and cooper cleaner.
soak patch with bore cleaner, let sit 30-40 strokes with brush, wet patch, patch will be black,
now i have repeated this cycle 20 times and the patch always comes out very black
Question, what am i doing wrong, or need to do, never had this issue before.
am i wearing out the barrel....

thanks for listening

Order some BoreTech CU+2. You have a very fouled barrel, probably both copper and powder. I didn't have good results with the MT extreme. Also I would not brush so much, just patch and maybe brush once or twice a session. Another thought is, if the brush is brass you might be pulling color off of it, but that should be blue. I use nickel coated jags too.

Jeff

Last edited:
I agree with above, get either some bore tech eliminator or bore tech CU+2. These are the best solvents I have ever used and they won't hurt the barrell. Just make sure to use something other than a brass jag, the solvent will turn the patch a blue green color. I use a nylon jag that works pretty good

I agree with above, get either some bore tech eliminator or bore tech CU+2. These are the best solvents I have ever used and they won't hurt the barrell. Just make sure to use something other than a brass jag, the solvent will turn the patch a blue green color. I use a nylon jag that works pretty good

Spot on! I can't believe everyone is not using this cleaner by now. Read the product reviews form Midway

Bore Tech Eliminator Bore Cleaning Solvent 16 oz Liquid - MidwayUSA

Jeff

I am currently out of Montana Extreme but when I used it I started out with Bore cleaner and would run a wet patch then a dry. After just couple, three wet patches the carbon gets gone. It also seems to take alot of the copper out of the barrel cause when I follow up with Copper Killer, it only takes 3-5 wet/dry patches (combos) and the barrel is clean.
I read the reviews for the Bore Tech Eliminator and I may have to try that based on the claims of no smell. That should make "mama" happy. JohnnyK.

I really like the foaming cleaners that are out there. Had one barrel that I just could not get a clean patch from no matter how many times I soaked and scrubbed. Used the foaming cleaner three times in a row and it was clean as could be!

KG1 and KG12 in that order 1 will remove all the carbon fouling and 12 all the copper. its not ammonia basses so no time limit in the bore. after using this and checking the results with a bore scope i binned all the other cleaners/solvents i had.

Before I shoot the rifle I will run a dry patch down the barrel to get excess oil out. I'll also clean the excess oil out of the chamber.

...Then I'll shoot the rifle...

To clean I'll run 4 strokes of a brass brush soaked in alcohol, then run a dry patch through.

I'll dilute Montana Extreme with Sweets or Shooters Choice, (or both,) then run 4 strokes of a nylon brush dipped in the copper remover solution. I'll let it set 2 minutes at the most, then run a dry patch through. Since I clean the copper out after 10-20 shots. That is all the copper solvent I use. From past experience I know it is clean or **** close to clean. I'll clean the chamber well with an oily rag.

I'll dip the nylon brush in the alcohol, (both ends,) and run that through the bore, repeat that step mainly to get the copper solvent off, then set it aside to dry. Run 2 more passes of a brass brush soaked in alcohol, then dry patch it.

Then I use oil with the brass brush, 4 strokes then dry patch, until clean. Usually takes 8 to 12 brass brush/oil strokes.

Then a well oiled patch down the barrel and a oily rag in the chamber and just about where ever there is metal.

Every 100 or so shots I will use straight Montana Extreme to get all the copper out, (just in case it gets built-up,) it usually takes 4 strokes with the nylon brush and one dry patch. I'll repeat until I see a fairly clean patch, usually takes 2 dry patches.

I broke my barrel in and get next to no copper; and I've always used oil to clean my barrel of carbon, I see no need for fancy solvents. Maybe I am missing something?

If we are going to start talking cleaners in this thread, TM Solutions needs to be mentioned.
I use it exclusively, very rarely use any Sweets, don't need to. Have a friend with a borescope . Started checking my cleaning process at first to see how this stuff was doing. After using it for over 1 1/2 years my barrels are still spotless, no carbon rings. I never need to use a bronze brush either. Just use a jag and let it soak in the barrel and do its thing.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.