Am I Crazy

7MilMauser

My Grandfather gave me his old rifle. It is a pre 64 model 70 in 264 win mag. Thank you grandpa! Here is my problem. The rifle hadn't been cleaned since 1963 and has seen copious amounts of s#@t mix hand loads from who knows who. The barrel is terribly pitted and has just about 0 rifeling left for the fist six inches of barrel. This thing is in bad shape. My question is would this gun be worth anything as is. Not to sell but if I were to put a barrel on it so I could at least use it, I am afraid I would hurt the value. If I did put a barrel on it do I need a 1 in 8 twist to shoot 140 grainers or is a 264 fast enough to to use a 1 in 9 twist with 140s. I would really like to use this rifle but it just won't shoot anymore so if rebarreling is not a bad idea and will get it out of the closet I would really like to know.

Personally, I would clean all the "junk" out of the barrel first. You might be surprised when the rifling reappears. Then I would shoot it and see if it still is accurate. If it isn't, then you must decide if you want it as a collectors piece or if you want a shooter. It would certainly make a fine shooting rifle with the right barrel. As for twist, I dont know for sure. Good luck.

Jim

+2

Keep the factory bbl for reinstall if you ever need to.

I would go with a good CM barrel, and blue it just like the factory barrel. I'd get the same contour also. I'd go with a chrome moly barrel from Krieger. You won't be disappointed.

Honestly, if you can afford it. Rebuild that rifle like YOU would want it set-up for your style of hunting.

Than use the living hell out of it like your grand dad did, and would want you to.

I see that as a respectful tribute to the rifle and the man.

Honestly, if you can afford it. Rebuild that rifle like YOU would want it set-up for your style of hunting.

Than use the living hell out of it like your grand dad did, and would want you to.

I see that as a respectful tribute to the rifle and the man.

I like your attitude man. Any thoughts on twist rates though?

I agree with Coyboy, use it and honor the man who used that rifle before you. A 1in9 twist is what that cartage should use with the bullets you are intending to shoot. I have my Dad's Pre 64 Model 721 Remmy 06, I shoot the heck out of it. My Uncle has his Pre 64 Model 70 243 & his Dad's Pre 64 Model 70 264 Win Mag, shoots them both. Good Luck and Good Shooting,

Ranger Jim

Rebarrel it and Cowboy (JIM SEE)would be a good guy to do the work.
By the way, are there two different cowboy's on this thread?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.