Am I crazy for wanting a 300 PRC?

Tank608

I'm wondering if I'm crazy for this but I'm thinking about getting rid of a couple of my ar15s and turning them into a nice 300 PRC bolt gun with a NF optic. I really do love looking and holding bolt action rifles they just seem to have more "soul" then an AR15… if I lived out west I would have already made up my mind but I live in WI with only access to a 200 yard range, and won't make it out west for an elk hunt in years. I already own a nice 6.5 Creedmoor with a NF on it, a .22 bolt gun and an inherited 270. What's your thoughts?

Buy what you want. A 300 PRC will kill deer in Wisconsin as easily as it would kill elk in Colorado. They won't be anymore dead than they'd be with your .270 or Creedmoor, but that's not why you want one. It's a cool caliber. I like mine.

Me and a buddy were at Cameo rifle range in Colorado. We had our 300 PRC's. He hit the 18''x24'' plate at a mile. A couple times. I didn't have the right glass setup. But I'm saying whitetails at 100 yards or plates at a mile. Good rifle.

Look around. There has to be a place to shoot to 1000yds there. We have 2, maybe 3 in Ohio!
There are a couple, but waiting list is years to join and expensive. Other than that, I think the only way to shoot at them is competitively. Other than that, perhaps a farmer with a large property. That's what most people I know do. Most state land is not open to target shooting.

Last edited:
Tank, If you like the caliber and action, don't feel limited by your current circumstances. Lots of der shot in WI with large 30 caliber magnums, often at "bow range". One of my instructors in A&P school used a 458 Winchester! Plus if you do decide to go out west, you'll not be under gunned for anything the lower 48 has to offer. Lots of people out west shoot pronghorn with large 30 cals and 338's as well.

Gotta love the choices we have. Enjoy your choice and the process!