Hunting partner etiquette

I hunt with two people. One is a resident and the other is a non resident. I go on their hunts when they draw and they go on my hunts when I draw. If we both draw hunts in different areas then we go on our own hunts. I have been in their areas and they have been in mine. We don't talk about it to others.

If someone comes in the area that I am hunting, I don't really care. They got there by their own means and most of the time they walk right on through without even spotting the elk or deer that I am after.

I have never felt like that some piece of public land is mine and mine alone. I have nothing but mutual respect for other guys who work hard at finding those overlooked hot spots like I do and if we both end up in the same place, good for both of us. Apparently I suck at picking friends and hunting partners even though I grew up with a lot of these fellows. Great guys, fun to be with, their wives friends with my wife, but I found out that they just couldn't keep a secret. Guess it was just in their DNA to spread the word.

For example: I spent a lot of time one winter driving around a large lake watching what the ducks and geese were doing and even more time out on the water with a lot of trial and error finding this great spot to hunt. In several years of hunting this spot I may have seen two or three other boats. It was a great spot and I eventually took a good buddy of mine to it and we both had some great hunts there and didn't mind if one went without the other. Everything was good until one winter we took took a mutual friend along with us and had a great hunt. That was the last year we hunted that spot. Every time we showed up at the ramp, which was two hours from home, his truck and trailer and usually one or two more from home would be there. It was never the same again. I'm still good friends with the guy but I won't take him hunting again. No temper tantrums or name calling, just moved on and found something else. Learned the same lesson on some great fishing spots too.

There are three guys I now trust and we freely share hunting and fishing information because we know that none of us will abuse that trust. If that's selfish, so be it.

Taking gals and kids hunting is something I support and do, it's considerably more satisfying to see their excitement when they harvest a large antlered bull moose than when I do

but for grown arse men ? they should be able to do their own research and scouting prior to the season, all manner of information is out there for the curious and dedicated, topo and aerial maps, etc ..

DIY physical, hands and feet on with your eyes ..... scouting is 100% necessary to Find Your Own Spot

No snowflakes or snakes in my camp

IMG_2624.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts