Hunting partner etiquette

Nobody owns knowledge which can be gained by simple observation nor does anyone own some section of public land just because they saw it before some other person. If you think of some section of the outdoors as "yours" in that way, you'll never hunt with someone like me and I feel sorry for you. Public land is public. Knowledge of the observable is un-ownable.

What I see in y'all that say junk like that is nothing but a foot stomping temper tantrum at not owning something you want to own. It's best to stop that kind of behavior as a child where it belongs.

If I take you to a spot I know of with good game populations, you've thence forward been taken to that spot and now you know about it. I'm not remotely naive or childish enough to think that the shared knowledge won't ever be re-shared or re-used without my expressed consent. Those that do, man do I feel sorry for you. Your life must be such a series of frustrations what with people breathing up your air without asking and all. I mean, exactly where does that sort of mindset find its boundary?

I don't know about you jokers but I've never been in the woods so deep that I see no signs of human presence other than my own. If you think that's how the world works, I got some news for you. Your spot is not a secret. It never was.

I think this pretty much sums up the type of hunter you are - noted. This seems like a comment someone who only hunts on private ranches or with professional guides would make. All serious hunters that DIY have their favorite spots or honey holes that they have worked their *** off to find. Sure, others may be familiar with the area, but like others have said there are a lot of ******* casual hunters that will go busting through and area like a herd of cattle if they catch wind of a sweet spot.

After being burned by some of my friends over the years I would rather hunt alone mostly. As an example of burned: two of us had permission to hunt a pretty small piece of property (just big enough that we were both successful and safe), then he starts bringing family...and more family...and then they were bringing family...then guys from his kid's soccer team...and then they started bringing folks...and then there was none! He went elk hunting with me this past season for the first time and was talking about bringing half a dozen of his family members up there. I just smiled and said we will need another tent.
I also had some locals a few years back try to run me off the area I was hunting in Colorado. I was alone and there were several of them. They came up to my little camp and expressed "this is where they hunt". After sabotaging my tent and all my clothes (to get wet), luckily they left after a few days. Also had guys stop in and talk to me and when I said where I'd be opening morning they made it a point to pass me on the 4 wheeler trail (rather aggressively) on my way in and then walk back and forth in front of me all morning. One even started playing quick draw on the hillside below me and accidentally fired a shot.
I have also met some great folks up there. Some have come to check on me and invite me to come eat dinner at their camps. I put one of those guys on probably a muley buck of a lifetime this year, would be for me at least.

Attachments

• 48CBFC85-66ED-4288-89FF-D892897202AF.jpeg
    48CBFC85-66ED-4288-89FF-D892897202AF.jpeg
    868.8 KB · Views: 51
After being burned by some of my friends over the years I would rather hunt alone mostly. As an example of burned: two of us had permission to hunt a pretty small piece of property (just big enough that we were both successful and safe), then he starts bringing family...and more family...and then they were bringing family...then guys from his kid's soccer team...and then they started bringing folks...and then there was none!
I also had some locals a few years back try to run me off the area I was hunting in Colorado. I was alone and there were several of them. They came up to my little camp and expressed "this is where they hunt". After sabotaging my tent and all my clothes (to get wet), luckily they left after a few days. Also had guys stop in and talk to me and when I said where I'd be opening morning they made it a point to pass me on the 4 wheeler trail (rather aggressively) on my way in and then walk back and forth in front of me all morning. One even started playing quick draw on the hillside below me and accidentally fired a shot.
I have also met some great folks up there. Some have come to check on me and invite me to come eat dinner at their camps. I put one of those guys on probably a muley buck of a lifetime this year, would be for me at least.

Some hunters are total dbags, even if you are another resident hunter. I have my favorite spots, but also love exploring new country - I come across the same types of people you describe. That is one of the only reason's I like to have one more person with me. Also one of the reason's my glock 29 is always on my person. I am way more worried about 2 legged critters than I am 4 when it comes to personal protection out hunting. A little liquid courage in a hunting camp of idiots can be a bad combo.

I don't claim to own a spot or want to own a particular spot but game like to hangout in places that doesn't have as much pressure if you find a spot that animals like to hang out why would you want to share this with every dumb *** you know so they can make sure no animals would ever want to hang out anymore some people like sharing other peoples spots cuz makes them feel big shot cuz they know where some animals are cuz there not good enough to find there own spots my 2 cents

My only criteria for hunting with friends and family is as long as they don't b*tch then they are winners in my book. I have yet be on a god d*mn hunt with friends or family where I don't get a "I'm hungry, we haven't seen anything, I'm cold...etc."

I had Army buddies who were in awful stuff for weeks on end in AFG, and then complain about being cold on a Missouri deer or hog hunt.

My step brother went deer hunting with me and texted me 30 mins into hunting saying he hasn't seen anything and he wants to go home. We got out of the stand and asked him how it went. He then tells me he saw some coyotes and a bobcat, but "it was a boring morning." I wanted to punch him in the mouth.

Took another buddy to a farmers land after the farmer gave me the thumbs up to take him. He then shoots 4 does and a button buck in a matter of minutes. The farmer never let me hunt his property after that.

My criteria for good hunting partners is set pretty low.

There is not public land around me. I have been burned by "friends" on access to private land. My circle of hunting friends is very small, because of that! Public land is whole different story! Like public water, if you don't like some one fishing or hunting in your spot, don't go!

I expect loyalty from my hunting partners. If you choose to take advantage of ke or my graciousness.....dont be surprised when you never hear from me.

This is what I like about hunting. You can meet some very nice people. There is always a rotten apple or two it seems though.

The quick draw guy sounds rather scary. Like make you want to lay low!

My criteria for good hunting partners is set pretty low.

How low? As in let anyone go? If you can take a little hardship. Whats it worth? Also If you cant take a little hardship hunting. Then you really do not like the outdoors.

Another thing I can not stand is stoned hunters. I have run into them a time or two. Guns and alcohol do not mix.

There was a group in the same camp that we in drinking and partying. Then they started shooting at the fish jumping in the lake. Not good.

This is what I like about hunting. You can meet some very nice people. There is always a rotten apple or two it seems though.

How low? As in let anyone go?

It's set so low that I just want to take someone who won't b*tch and complain and someone who won't kill everything that moves! Lol

I have taken tons of friends and family hunting and those two criteria have never been met!

It's set so low that I just want to take someone who won't b*tch and complain and someone who won't kill everything that moves! Lol

I have taken tons of friends and family hunting and those two criteria have never been met!

Seriously - I have one buddy who I like to hunt with, but he has been busy with life the last couple years so I tried some new groups. It was a living hell - would rather hunt by myself.

I must be lucky. Only one of my Brother complains.... And thats when he thinks we are taking a to steep of route that's to far of the flat spot below.... He's scared of heights... LOL

I usually just take my dog. I don't have to worry about him complaining or going back with his buddies when I m not around. Nobody seems to mess with camp when there is a pitbull chained up there! Sounds like most of y'all have better family than mine! Bird hunting is ok to take people hunting but the rest -naw!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.